Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Mustang2 IFS
- - By oldschool59 Date 07-22-2007 00:20
I am in the process of installing a Mustang II independent front suspension on my '59 Chevy truck. Everything is fit up and TACKED in place using MIG. Does anyone have any idea about a procedure for welding the crossmember and spring hats in solid? I bought the kit from TCI Engineering but the instructions do not include welding information. Any information appreciated....Thanks
Parent - - By oldschool59 Date 08-03-2007 00:37
Is frame welding really that big a deal? I see that no one will touch this. HMMMM
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 08-03-2007 02:07 Edited 08-03-2007 02:11
Hey oldschool,
YES!!!! Frame welding is a big deal.....whether you want to believe it or not. There are a myriad of problems and issues that have to be considered before attempting welding on ANY vehicle frame. Do you know the metallurgy of the metal used? How severe is any deterioration? Have you ever welded a frame before? Do you know what HAZ is & the affects? I do restoration on 8-12 classics each year and frame welding is part of the operation. I have very strict parameters & guidelines I follow to insure a sound weldment. I believe most of the superb welding minds here would be a bit hesitant to suggest or offer "how to do" techniques because of the main issue---LIABILITY. Your best resolution would be to take it too a qualified welding operation and let them tell you if it is possible and if they would do it? And would they guarantee the work and the frame not to fail? Do some homework......Good Luck....Denny
Parent - - By oldschool59 Date 08-07-2007 12:00
Thanks for the input. I do intend to take it to a qualified shop. Just want it done right.
Parent - By Bob Garner (***) Date 08-07-2007 16:26
Just curious, but when you take a project like this to a local shop to have welded, do you ask for their WPS?  Wouldn't they have to prequalify for the car frame base material?

I was thinking it would be a good idea to take your battery-operated sawzall to the wrecking yard to get a bunch of car frame material to prequalify and test on.  But if someone saw you cutting up a '59 Chevy frame, you could be in trouble plenty.

Bob
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Mustang2 IFS