Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / OJT
- - By Saturated Date 07-23-2007 21:15
Does the D1.1 stipulate anything about non-certified welders performing under an "on the job training" situation?  I work in a job shop wher the company typically sends tests in all at one time.  So after our weld operators have passed an in-house visual test they will work under the supervisors guidance until they pass their certification.  I understand that individual job specifications must be met, but does the D1.1 allow for this situation?
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 07-23-2007 21:20
not that i am aware of.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-23-2007 22:08 Edited 07-24-2007 00:24
Saturated:

Welcome to the Forum!

This is what the Code says specifically about your question

"4.1.2 Performance Qualification of Welding Personnel.
Welders, Welding operators, and tack welders to be employed under this code, and using the shielded arc welding SMAW, SAW, GMAW, GTAW, FCAW, ESW, or EGW processes, shall be qualified by the applicable tests as described in part C of this section..."

There is supporting text in the commentary (part C)

If the welders are not qualified than the welds they are producing are not compliant.

Its pretty cut and dry
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-24-2007 00:35
It is amazing how many times I've had contractors say, "This welder is  trainee, but he's working with  foreman that is qulified and making sure he does it right!", and I believe they think it is perfectly alright.

I've even had engineers say that it was acceptable to "them" as long as there was "oversight" by a qualified individual. 

I reject the work an make the EOR sign for it. It usually happen only once. Engineers usually take a "second" look at the situation when they have to put their name on the dotted line.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Saturated Date 07-24-2007 20:53
Thank you, i have try to explain this to the owners, and on numerous occasions i have been told to find it in the book.  and on numerous occasions i have returned to them without the information that they wanted to hear.  i believe this is more of an issue of schedule than anything else.  Thank you for your input.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 07-24-2007 22:57 Edited 07-24-2007 23:00
Saturated.

Here is the thing... Even though you have been diligent and informed your boss about the problem, even if you have done so in writing..

If you are the inspector and something fails in service, the lawyers may decide to go after you first!

Be very circumspect about how long you are involved in this situation if it does not change.

There are several others who post in the forum here who have also served as expert witnesses at trials where lives were lost and will validate what I'm trying to say.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-03-2007 02:22
check out 4.19.1.1 second paragraph
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-24-2007 02:22
I must admit guilt in this myself. I have given guys fillet weld tests and let them go to work before I did the break and macro. I have also let them make fillet welds with NO fillet weld test at all after watching them run a few beads and then came back and tested them later.

There is ABSOLUTELY no allowance for this in ANY code that I am aware of.

Gerald
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 07-24-2007 23:01
As a follow up. ASME does allow production certification of welders. And I think D1.1 allows it for welding operators. Either would require examination of initial welds made.

Gerald
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-26-2007 02:33 Edited 07-26-2007 02:36
This is America, you can do what you want because there are no "construction police" that are going to arrest you if you "cheat". However, we do have a system of checks and balances. The grim reaper of the system is the lawyer that crawls out of the woodwork when someone is hurt or killed.

The injured party usually walks away with enough money to pay the doctor and hospital bills and the lawyer buys a new Mac Mansion. The contractor responsible and everyone, even if remotely, connected with the project pays a dear price. 

Most contractors by nature are gamblers and look at the cost of rework or litigation, if they get caught, as a cost of doing business.

I had one contractor tell me, in front of the owner, engineer, and general contractor, "at any one time I have 10 projects running, hopefully you (me, the inspector) will only be on one of them. The bottom line is, I can afford to get caught 10% of the time. The other 90% of the time I win."

It's  sick world we live in. Even when we do our honest best, it may not be enough. How many welds do we actually see being made versus the number of welds we only see when they are completed? Do we know the welder that actually made the weld was qualified? How do we know if the joint was properly prepared and cleaned before welding? How do we know if the proper electrode was used? Do we know if the electrode was properly stored? What percentage of "faulty" welds or materials are actually discovered?

The bottom line is that it is a gamble the owner is willing to take. The owner saves money by cutting back on inspection and gambles the contractor is honest and will comply with the project requirements. The contractor gambles that he will not get caught buying substandard materials or using unqualified welders for half the wages.

Was there really no one minding the store when the three astronauts burned beyond recognition in the pure oxygen atmosphere of their space capsule? Was there no one minding the store when the space shuttle blew up 30 seconds into their flight? Was there no one at the wheel when the shuttle burned during reentry because of damaged tiles? Or was there someone, an inspector or engineer that sounded the alarm, but it was decided by the "owner" to gamble with "someone else's life" to save money, time, or schedule?

There is a need for the lawyers. They will never be out of work. They bring things back into balance. Hopefully the honest contractor stays in business and the less desireable contractors are culled fom the herd.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-31-2007 02:02
"1 Was there really no one minding the store when the three astronauts burned beyond recognition in the pure oxygen atmosphere of their space capsule? 2 Was there no one minding the store when the space shuttle blew up 30 seconds into their flight? 3 Was there no one at the wheel when the shuttle burned during reentry because of damaged tiles? 4 Or was there someone, an inspector or engineer that sounded the alarm, but it was decided by the "owner" to gamble with "someone else's life" to save money, time, or schedule?"

1. Yes there where engineers who sounded an alarm but where poo pooed as being over zealous in concerns.
2. Yes there was an engineer who raised hell about the O rings before flight. Further; video at lift off noted the occillations and subsequent puffs of smoke from the failing O ring. At both stages it could have been stopped.
3. Flight video showed damage during lift off from ice. Numbers where run, and the gamble with those lives failed.
4. Time and schedule more and more bends the rules. Unfortunetly, it will get worse before it gets better.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-01-2007 03:03
Amen!

Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-02-2007 16:29
And now we have the Minneapolis Bridge (I-35W) disaster!!!
Seems like it'll just keep on happening like CWI555 mentioned because, human life just is'nt worth the same these days as it was before the lawyers started to put "price tags" on us.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-02-2007 16:48
Henry,
Not sure there ever was a before.
And the blood lust and greed in the aftermath will be no less nauseating and dispicable as any possible negligence before hand.
Heads will roll over this thing. Never mind if its the right people for the right reasons. Heads will roll.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-02-2007 17:05
People will be expecting some answers...and they will have answers, I just hope they will be the truthfull and correct answers.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-02-2007 17:18
I agree john. People deserve answers. Especially the survivors and families of those involved. And yes, the correct answers. Unfortunately, IMO, once the media casts its impatient and 'scoop mentality' gaze, the truth is seldom the priority.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-02-2007 20:39
Sure there was but, it was way before our time! :) Certainly way before the lawyers and pencil pushers decided that they were "mandated" to sort these matters out!!!

If the status Quo do'nt watch out, the people of this country will make these "islamic fundamentalists" look like a bunch of punks compared to the folks who will reach the point where they're done with waiting patiently for change, and decide to make change themselves... Then you'll see a blood bath for sure!!!
Hey! look what happened to the former Soviet Union!!! The same can happen here, and if one thinks it cannot, then one is very much foolish to think so!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-02-2007 20:58
Henry,
I've always said, the greatest power the world has ever known is middle America. Wake em up (not such an easy thing), and empires tremble. Pizz em off and empires disappear. Extend a hand in friendship, and nothing is impossible.

PS: Ok, but I'm really not sure there was a "way before our time".  At least not a way before my time. I won't speak for you.  :>)
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-03-2007 02:46
I hear ya there Jeff!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-03-2007 04:02 Edited 08-03-2007 04:10
Henry,

This was one time I truely wished I was wrong, but the facts speak for themself. To multinational multibillion dollar organizations and our own government, those people are just a number. They'll decry the tragedy, poor poor people, patt them on the head, the lawyers will sue, and money will be paid, and it will all go away. If Katrina, the world trade centers, this collapse, and other events like it are not enough to wake the Lion in the middle america, I fear it's died in it's sleep. It's a sad damn day when human life is measured by amounts gained in a law suit.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-03-2007 12:11
Gerald,
Not too long ago there were reports of the levies in New Orleans were lacking and needed to be upgraded, predictions that a failure could occur, then bam...the predictions became reality....now we have this bridge, which had 4' long cracks in the steel structure and report after report, year after year, noting these problems. You would think after a while somebody would wake up and smell the coffee. Ignoring problems don't always make them go away.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-03-2007 23:08
Apparently they need more than coffee, I think they need a good swift kick in the family jewels.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 09-03-2007 13:40
Mr. Trappold, who is the man held responsible for using the material that burned in the space capsule, would disagree with you. Oxygen enhanced fire had been considered by NASA Engineers, but  value judgement was taken based on probability and alternatives.  Cost was not a consideration, because it was acknowleged that given the unlikely event of a fire, the most likely source of the fire would cause the metal to burn.  The metal fire alone would be lethal to the occupants.   Don't believe what you read on this subject!  A bolted hatchway sealed the astronauts in.  If they had a cam locked hatch, they may have been able to get out.  But, the rocket itself was more likely to have blown up, and material selection consideration or operable hatchway consideration would have been a moot point.
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-04-2007 14:15
It's like everyone has said, welds made by an uncertifed welder are not in accordance with any welding code; it doesn't matter who was looking over the welders shoulder when he/she made the welds.

That said, there are situations where there are no specifications that require certified welders.  I was at a company in Houston this week, looking at how a "product" they make is put together and welded.  (We broke our ''product" and they agreed to let us see how best to fix it.)  Their products have been engineered and have stood the test of time 35+ years, and they do work to commonly accepted practices.  There is almost no chance of catastrophic failure with their work (unless someone decides to place a dynamite magazine on it).  The only failures have been when too much weight is piled on - way beyond the design limits.  Which was our situation, but no factory welds failed, the steel between the welds did (not the HAZ).

At any rate,all that company does is give prospective welders a 3F test with E6011 and 2F with E7024.  No bends, root exams, or etc - just a visual.  If a weld doesn't look good, the welder works with someone else to learn how to do it, and after the foreman is happy the person is now a welder.

That certainly did not fit what I thought was "right".  However, that company has been successful for a long time, without any product failures when the users follow directions.  For them, that level of quality assurance is adequate. They make no pretenses that their welding is anything other than what it is.   But no one can say the welders are certifed to D1.1.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / OJT