Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Guy
- - By Surferdude (*) Date 07-24-2007 03:10
Hello, I just started as a welder in a small machine shop, This is my first job and only have 1 year of schooling (going for my second and final year when skool starts)....So far the people are ok but i just dont like it, at times i cant tell that i do something wrong (ie things arent perfectly straight by eye when thats all i have to tell) and end up getting yelled at for it. Im working relitivly long hours and only making minimum wage. I am asking you what woudl you do? Would you quit or stick with it (i have to quit when skool starts again)? Thanks :)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 07-24-2007 03:36
I would stick it out untill a better trade related job becomes available. Look at this job as a learning experience, not as a company You will stay with. Learn everything You can, anything You can learn about machining while You are there will be usefull at some point in Your life.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 07-24-2007 12:09
Stick with it till school starts.  Even if they don't teach you anything you still will come out of this with a bit of experience under your belt.  Guys in this industry can be hard on you pups while your learning, but it will only make you tuffer in the end and hopefully not let you make the same mistake twice.  Don't ever go in acting like you know it all and i'm sure the some guys will be more then glad to give you some help. 
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-24-2007 12:50 Edited 07-24-2007 12:52
dude, definately stick it out!  I don't have enough fingers and toes to tell you how many time I've screwed up over the years and I'm sure most of us are in the same boat!  The thing is, if you haven't already figured it out, welding is both an art and a science so your work is like your signature so do it proudly and try your best to make every weld better than the last!!!  Try to learn what went wrong when you make a mistake and do not be afraid to ask some of the more experienced welders, I'm sure they will eagerly advise you!  Hang in there dude, if you are looking for a job where your salary will definately grow with your experience and aren't afraid of endless learning you've entered the right profession!!!

P/S:  I forgot to add, welcome to the Forum, if you can't find welding help and advise here, you can't find it anywhere!!!
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 07-24-2007 16:21
Stick with it.  The experience you gain until you quit for school will help you in the future.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-24-2007 17:42
It's the American way......learn what you can, then move on.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 07-24-2007 20:13
Problem with this business sometimes is everyones a critic. Secret is to get the critisisem before you make the mistakes, as already stated ask lots of questions and learn from the last guys screw-up's because rest assured, someone will have made them before you. But if you don't like the work to start with ,it is going to be even harder to get good at it.
Parent - - By Surferdude (*) Date 07-25-2007 01:26
ok thanks you guys i appreciate it ...and yea i knw idk its just im kinda sick of it lol.....i love to weld to death, but just all the other parts of the job lol....but thanks and i will stick w/ it :-D
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 07-25-2007 05:20
You are apparently setting up your own work.  As you gain experience you will learn to expect distortion and allow for it.  This is very valuable.  You should accumulate a few tools to allow you to set things up in a repeatable way.  A carpenters square, a fair sized straight edge, a measuring tape, and a chalk line are a start.  A few blocks of wood and some wooden wedges, perhaps some clamps, but I know you have a small budget, to hold things in position.  That and a good working brain, which you already have.  Set up then one tack and recheck, remember how it moved and readjust, then another tack and so forth.  Use this as a learning experience, it won't last forever and you can learn a lot.  If you have to make a lot of the same thing think about building a jig to set the parts up in (also good experience).  Work smart, it's easier.
Bill
Parent - - By Surferdude (*) Date 08-08-2007 02:47
lol, wow so not to complain to u all but if a higher up guy is giving you a hard time on purpose is there anything you do to keep from getting to stressed out?....this guy took parts i didnt even start on yet and started telling me i did them wrong, then took a part i did do looked it over 2-3 times to find somethign wrong w. it to tell at me for....but thanks
Parent - By welder5354 (**) Date 08-08-2007 04:24
Hey surferdude, don't let the higher ups intimidate you.  There are a lot of journeypersons's out there who think they are the premadonnas.  Don't worry, they have screwed up in the past.  In this trade we all have made mistakes, but some people are just too proud to mentioned their failures.   Keep a cool head and don't get too stressed out.  If they don't lay u off then u must be doing something right.  We were all young like u onetime, but consider everything that u do is a learning experience.   I've been in the welding field now for over 30 yrs, and everyday is a new experience.
Look ahead and don't look back.  Some people just have an attitude problem in general, so just observe them in other areas that they perform.  You may think people are singling u out, but in reality that's just the way they live.  I'm a coordinator for postjourney welders, it doesn't take me to long to find out who has the attitude problem and that's something u can't change.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-08-2007 04:43
Resolve to never raise your voice.  Shouting brings more shouting but a calm voice tends to reduce argument to discussion.  This doesn't mean you have to roll over, you should still defend your position.  Somebody once said be kind to your enemies, it will drive them nuts.  So maybe bring the guy coffee it's cheap and maybe it'll put out his fuse.  In the end this is a temporary position anyway and by now you're a short timer.  You can do the rest of the summer standing on one foot.  Everybody isn't like this guy.  Good luck.
Bill
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-10-2007 04:10
If you haven't screwed something up in your life, you haven't worked a day in your life.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / New Guy