Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / CVN test for wps as per D1.1
- - By hung7601 (*) Date 07-24-2007 05:34
Dear All
I hope any one of you can help me on this issue,
Im reviewing a WPS that is qualified as per AWS D1.1, the project spec doesn't mention the CVN test, it just mention that WPS to be qualified as per AWS D1.1; the welding engineer made the cvn test at -20 deg. C with no explaination why the test to be at -20 deg. C;
To my understanding, if there is contract requirement the cvn test shall included in wps qualification; if no specified in the contract the cvn test can be omitted or cvn test can be done as per filler metal spec. (energy, temp. etc.)
Some infor. you may need: PQR made from 20" pipe, 1"tk material API 5L X56, weld process: TIG, SMAW, SAW; full pen. no back gouging
Thanks in advance
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-24-2007 06:34
Have you asked the engineer?  Being a welding engineer myself, I have often submitted WPS' for a job that doesn't require impacts, yet I had previously qualified WPS for a job that did. 
Parent - - By Noel Tan (**) Date 07-24-2007 06:39
Sometime is good to qualify a WPQT including CVN test, no harm for u to do a CVN test since project sepc. is not required CVN test and there is no acceptance criteria for the results obtained (no rejection). Assuming there is another project might required same range of WPS qualification + CVN test, u can use this WPQR to support. (but always subject to client's approval)
Parent - - By hung7601 (*) Date 07-24-2007 09:06
yes, I agree. it is not so expensive to do the cvn test, and this test also helpful for me for other jobs as well.
I just want to ask your expertise that: if there is no specific about CVN test, should I do CVN test for this WPS as per welding electrode spec (regarding the temp and energy?)
Thanks
Parent - - By Noel Tan (**) Date 07-24-2007 09:43
To verify the Impact Properties of the weld metal is not contractor's resposibility but filler metal supplier. supplier needs to ascertain impact value for certain test temperature for each type of filler metal they supply as specified in the filler metal datasheet: for example Guarantee impact 27J @ -40C.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 07-24-2007 10:41
Noel Tan, I'm sorry to disagree with you but certain Codes do require the contractor to also verify CVN for filler metals used in WPS.
Parent - - By Noel Tan (**) Date 07-25-2007 01:04
sorry, Jon20013... in this case we discussing on AWS D1.1. but not any other code.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 07-25-2007 22:02
In the case of D1.1, it is entirely up to the engineer.  See D1.1:2006 paragraph 2.2.2.  The engineer can specify testing on the PQR of weld, HAZ, or both, or whether appropriate filler metal classifications are acceptable.
Parent - By hung7601 (*) Date 07-26-2007 02:13
Hi GRoberts
your advice helps a lot, thanks
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / CVN test for wps as per D1.1