Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Double Bevel groove weld procedure
- - By BridgeIt Date 07-24-2007 13:35
What is the typical procedure for completing a prequalified B-U3c-S in conformance with AWS?

More specifically:
Are both sides of the joint typically beveled prior to any welding?

Or, can you bevel one side, then weld it, and then flame cut the bevel on the other side?

Is there a section in D1.1 or D1.5 that would clarify which procedure is acceptable?
Parent - By pax23 (**) Date 07-24-2007 16:45 Edited 07-30-2007 22:16
I don't see anything definitive in the code one way or the other about this but my gut feeling is the prep really should be done before the welding is preformed in order to comply with the code's intent here. Otherwise you are doing a B-L2c-S.

<Edit> My gut was wrong on this one. I am told that it is typical practice to bevel the backside after welding the front side. There is nothing in the code that prohibits this either.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 07-24-2007 21:12
read aws d1.1 chapter 5
Parent - By pax23 (**) Date 07-24-2007 21:39
The only thing in Section 5 that comes close is 5.15 but that does not address the question at hand; however, I did find the applicable section to answer the question rather definitively, Section 3.13.2.
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 07-28-2007 22:05
I can't see flame cutting a bevel on something like a test plate,but you could grind a bevel on one side and weld that side and take and arc gouge to the other side and gouge it back to the weld.

Milton
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Double Bevel groove weld procedure