Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / A.R.E.M.A. WELD SPECIFICATION
- - By hittman375 (*) Date 07-24-2007 20:09
I HAD A CUSTOMER CALL ME THAT IS BIDDING A JOB AND THE CONTRACT STATES THAT ALL WELDS MUST BE DONE IN ACCORDANCE WITH A.R.E.M.A. WELD SPECIFICATIONS. I HAVE NOT HEARD OF THIS BEFORE AND WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE OUT THERE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THIS TOPIC?
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 07-24-2007 20:43
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 07-26-2007 15:17
That link just led to the AREMA home page, and a search in their publications under "weld" or "welding" got nothing.  I thought AREMA referred to AWS on welding matters, with a couple extra limitations.

Hg
Parent - By chall (***) Date 07-26-2007 15:32
I believe you are correct.  AWS D15.2 addresses welding rails.

It's not what you would call an "intuitive" code.  It is like none other.

If the original poster has a specific question, post it, because I have D15.2 and would be willing to look into it.

Charles.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-26-2007 22:13 Edited 07-26-2007 22:18
A.R.E.M.A. stands for American Railway Engineering and Maintenance of Way Association.  The welding is found in Chapter 15.
look on the right hand side under chapters.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 07-26-2007 22:31
Do ya one better--I'm looking at my copy of Ch. 15 and it pretty much just refers the user to AWS D1.5.  I don't think there's such a thing as an "AREMA weld specification".  Time to contact the specifier for clarification.

Hg
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 07-28-2007 02:42
HG

There used to be assembly and fabrication rules, and CJP rules for web to flange welds, back in 1990.  I do not have a current copy.
Parent - By hittman375 (*) Date 07-31-2007 12:36
I am sorry that I cannot be more specific. Like I said the customer that I have just told me that the job was to be performed according to AREMA specifications. He just said that it was to be done with 7018. I thank all of you for the information given so far.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 08-06-2007 18:58
I can't find a CJP requirement, just that machine welding be used.  CJP for web-to-flange may still be in some individual railroads' design requirements.  I'm pretty sure I've been seeing fillet-welded RR flanges the last few years. 

There used to be rules in the fabrication section about how manual welding had to be SMAW and machine welding had to be SAW and I'm not seeing any of that any more either.  I do see a SAW requirement for webs & flanges for FCMs.

Hg
Parent - By hittman375 (*) Date 08-07-2007 18:48
Thanks for the information. I think that I might pass this one on to someone more experienced.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / A.R.E.M.A. WELD SPECIFICATION