Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Interesting choice of PPE....
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 07-27-2007 15:31 Edited 07-27-2007 18:16
Welding Sheild:

Hard hat:

Flexible safety goggles that also act as a dust mask:
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 07-27-2007 15:41 Edited 07-27-2007 15:45
They're probably working for some of these U.S. owned companies trying to pay big dividends. Maybe they should pool their resources. The guy in the middle could take the hard hat from guy number 1. Then guy number 1 could pin the daily news to the foam hard hat. We won't worry about guy number 3, I'm sure he's already dead.

Are you sure this is China? I've worked in south Florida and.....well, I need more proof
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-27-2007 17:59
The bottom insulator is missing from the stinger too!
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 07-27-2007 16:15
John, Those are are some good shots , Apart from the humor of it all, what a sad state of affairs that people are working under those kind of conditions in this day and age and shame on those that allow it to happen for the sake of saving a few bucks. Makes one wonder if their is any hope for mankind at all.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 07-27-2007 16:28
The good news is that you can turn them around and wear them again......just like underwear.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 07-27-2007 17:36 Edited 07-27-2007 21:29
At least the welder has real welding gloves.
While working at a nuclear plant in Korea(Yong Wang in Kwang Ju) a very remote place, I saw welders tacking rebar mats with no shields just squinting and placing hand over face like playing peek-a-boo.

They used ladders and scaffolds made from bamboo in the reactor building.Probably still in decon. They use what they have.

At another nuke in Pusan it was nothing like the first plant.
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 07-27-2007 23:35
Although its nearly impossible anymore, try to remember those pics when you shop at the big ***-Marts to save two bucks.   I just bought a weight set today and hated that the bar was made in CHINA.  Of course its not even straight!!!!!!!! gotta return it now.  I always tell people when they find out I work in a refinery that its probably one of the safest job sites youll ever work at.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 07-28-2007 10:41 Edited 07-28-2007 20:23
Hmmmm-  Whether I am hated liked or ignored is not the point.

These are the guys that are taking away your grandchildren and your childrens way of life if you live in America.  Whats really sad is you look at this and you need to think about the fact that in a lot of cases it is American industry/American Money supporting this kind of work.  Free trade agreements.....hmmphf  what country not on the decline economically does that.   Its simply about money and profits...power for those in the political arena...nothing more....at the sacrifice of (much)human dignity and life.  Its all temporary fellows....quick profits for a unstable and changing world.  I am seriously considering moving my family out of country just because of the economic sanctions our so called rep[resentitives are making law.   My kids have a bleak future here simply because of out sourcing and no real laws put in place to protect us economically......and it all comes at the expense of the lives of the individuals you see in these pictures.  Yea 15 years ago I would have laughed my butt off at these.......now I see the reality of whats really happening.  No matter what you do I gareantee there is somone in the world who is willing to do it for less then your willing to take and they are getting the means to do so thru your goverment and industry base that you have worked your life for and pay taxes to support.   I had a four hour conversation with one of my 16 yr old children about all this tonite...simply because they are smart enough to read between the lines of the news they see on TV......Thank God for giving my children more brains then the squirrrel in our yard.   I find nothing funny about this post...its just the reality ...everyone should face up too..

If you would like to get on a international political bent.......we go into Iraq on the basis of weapons of mass destruction.....ok great.....what about africa where children and women are slaughtered to the tune of a million or so in a matter of weeks in the name of revolution..... we fought a WORLD WAR over less...do you see that on your frontpage???   No you see IRAQ  why   they got somthing we want.....plain and simple.  

Guys wake up we are getting SCREWED and our kids are getting the same thing.

Oh jeez I cannot believe i said all that But hey thats how I feel and thats what I think.
Tommy

EDIT
BTW Jwright  I am not trying to hijack your thread man.....but in light of recent news  I could not help myself
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 07-28-2007 23:07
Tommy's not joking. Pun intended.
Look at the import/export chart in the top picture.
Parent - By fbrieden (***) Date 07-29-2007 02:38
I hate to say this, but on a lighter note.... the "welder" looks like a bad ZZ Top member.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-29-2007 05:53
The worst part about that one is, we are facilitating that import export chart. They buy our scrap, melt it down, and sell it back to us at over inflated prices all the while working these poor bastards for pennys. Think about this the next time you take some metal to a scrap yard.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-29-2007 05:58
Note the teenage boy walking in the second picture. The kid can't be more than 12 or 13. He's out working when he should be out playing ball.
Take a good long look at that kid.
That my friends is the fate of your childrens children if we as a Country do not start taking the high road ditching all retailers who partake of products
made on the cheap by these countries.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 07-29-2007 07:42
Those are just the guys who actually surmised there might be a risk..........
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 07-30-2007 16:23
That is a sobering thought ,What of the couple 100 or so that did not come to that conclusion.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Interesting choice of PPE....