Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Self Employment
- - By DaveP66 (*) Date 03-19-2001 22:41
Hello, I have been a Seabee in the US Navy for the last 3.5 years. I am due out in a year in a half. I was thinking of opening my own welding business when i get out. I was figuring it would take about 12-15K worth of equipment to get started. I have a truck i can use as of now. And was going to pull a small business loan to get my new equipment. I have mostly just welding structural steel in the Navy. Not a lot of experience, mostly classes and training. But all in all, out of the 5 years i have been in i will rank E-5, have training in Structural steel plate, and pipe. MIG and TIG stainless and aluminum. As well as a few other classes im going to take before i get out. And i have about 1.5-2 years of actual experience in welding structural steel plate. That is about where ill be when i get out. Im trying to work more with TIG and MIG. I dont know those processes very well..just have messed around with them about 10 hours each on my own.
I was wondering if anyone could give me some sound advice on how to go about getting started. The best way. And any advice on how to conduct this sort of business. I have more questions here.

1) what processes are most demanding. And what ones should i really know?

2) what does the average self-employed welder make in the Mississippi area.

3)Is having a outfit run from my truck a good idea. Or should i go with a shop. But costs more money.

any more info, i would really be greatful.

Thank you.
David P. TheUntchbl66@aol.com
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-20-2001 03:11
I think rig welders here in North East Mississippi make about 30 - 40 per hour for themselves and the rig. This work was installing gas pipeline at a Gas turbine installation. I really don't know about just doing structural welding.

The more processes you are skilled in the more you will be able to do. The more you can do the more jobs available.

In my opinion having a shop is the way to go but I kinda like my wife and kids.
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 03-25-2001 19:33
TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION PROPERLY YOU NEED TO DECIDE ON WHAT TYPE OF WORK YOU WANT TO DO, (I.E.) CONTRACT FABRICATOR, CONSTRUCTION, REPAIR? WHEN YOU DECIDE WHAT TYPE OF WORK YOU WANT TO DO THEN YOU CAN START GETTING EQUIPMENT. FOR FABRICATION PRODUCTION STYLE EQUIPMENT IS NECESSARY, GMAW, ETC. FOR CONSTRUCTION THEN A PORTABLE RIG IS NECESSARY, SMAW. FOR REPAIR WORK YOU WILL NEED A VARIETY OF EQUIPMENT, MIG, TIG, STICK, OAW, OAC, AIR-ARC, VARIOUS HAND AND POWER TOOLS, BAND SAWS, MAYBE SOME TYPE OF HOIST, AND MAYBE SOME TYPE OF FABRICATING EQUIPMENT,(I.E.) LATHES,PRESS BRAKE, SHEAR, ETC. IF YOU WANT TO DO PORTABLE WORK THEN YOU WILL NEED A PORTABLE WELDING RIG. NOW LAST BUT NOT LEAST YOU WILL NEED A PLACE TO DO THE WORK. GARAGE, STEEL BUILDING IS TYPICAL. DON'T FORGET ABOUT INCOMING POWER FOR YOUR EQUIPMENT THAT YOU NEED. HAVING A SHOP IS GOOD BUT THE INITIAL STARTUP IS EXPENSIVE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE E-MAIL ME.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Self Employment