Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / I have a few question on a WPS i'm suppose to come up with.
- - By Kix (****) Date 07-31-2007 13:03
We are welding armor plate to D1.1   The steel is from sweden and is called Hardox AR500.  It can be welded with your run of the mill basic flux cored wires.  I was wondering if there is anyway i can come up with an ASTM # for this stuff so i can write a WPS.  This stuff gets welded to itself and some pieces of A572 GR50.  Can I just put Hardox AR500 welded to A572 gr50 in the material list and qualify by testing or do i need an ASTM # so the group steels can be determined also?  I'm also thinking i should qualify the AR500 to AR500 also just to be safe.  Thanks in advance guys!!
Parent - - By waynekoe (**) Date 07-31-2007 14:51 Edited 07-31-2007 15:21
I'm thinking that you would be better off just listing the grade AR500, and probably write two seperate WPS. One to the structural element and the other to it self. I'm just thinking about the preheat differences. Years ago, I did work for Haulpak, lining their dump beds with sheets of the stuff. The preheat ranges were around 400 F, but it was being welded to 100ksi steel in the beds.

I was just looking thru ASTM web site, and the correct listing would be ASTM AR500, or ASTM AR400, which ever hardness rating your using.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 07-31-2007 18:27
Thanks for the input.  We're actually not using any preheat or post weld heat treating.  I'm listing preheat as 70deg , Interpass min as 70deg, and interpass max as 437deg.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 07-31-2007 19:59
437?
Not sure I've ever seen that temp stick.
Just kiddin.
Parent - - By waynekoe (**) Date 07-31-2007 20:45
Have you contacted the mill for welding perameters?
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-01-2007 01:06
Hey Kix!

If I were in your shoes, I would definitely contact the mill that produces the "Hardox" AR 500...
Have you talked with them yet?

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 08-01-2007 04:27
There is no "ASTM AR500" or "ASTM AR400" standard.  I could find no such listing on the ASTM website.  The "abrasion resistant" (AR) grades are quenched and tempered grades of low alloy steel that have been heat treated to obtain their hardness levels (500 HB, 400 HB, etc.).  The maximum interpass limits are intended to ensure the tempering temperature is not exceeded so their bulk hardness properties are not lost from the heat of welding.  Obviously their will be an area in the HAZ where this can not be prevented, but the width is minimal if the maximum interpass temp limits are followed.  These AR steels are considered proprietary steels with no ASTM standard.  A correct way to reference these on the PQR would be to list "None" as the Material Spec and "AR500 Wear Plate" as the Grade.

It sounds as if you have the welding info you need, but if you need more there is a welding guide on their website at www.hardox.com.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 08-01-2007 16:34
Yeah i got all the welding goodies for the hardox, but i was just wondering how i am to list this stuff in the material spec portion of the WPS.  You pretty much cleared that up though so thanks very much.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / I have a few question on a WPS i'm suppose to come up with.