Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Spot Welding Certification
- - By TSchmidt (*) Date 07-31-2007 17:50
Are there any Welder Qualifications or Certification per D1.1 for spot welding. I am not seeing anything in there and thought I would seek some veteran CWI's advice.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 07-31-2007 18:24
i think that is covered in aws d1.3 (sheet steel)
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 07-31-2007 18:45
What materials are you spot welding? Resistance or arc? D1.1 only covers material thicknesses down to 1/8 inch, which you probably know. I'm appologizing for being so generic here, but I have seen references to spot welding when "plug welding" was the actual criteria as well. If D1.3 is the criteria, which it would be if the material is less than 1/8", then there should be procedures and qualified welders for this as per 2.3.5.1 & 4.6.4.1 (AWS D1.3-98). If this is resistance spot welding then I would like to see WPS's & PQR for review.
Parent - By TSchmidt (*) Date 07-31-2007 21:12
Jarsanb;

We are resistance welding sheet metal together and putting three and six projection spot weld nuts and studs on sheet metal also.We do not have any WPS's or PQR's for review written.
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 07-31-2007 21:56
D1.3 cover up to 3/16" material
http://www.aws.org/catalogs/cat-07-1.pdf
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-01-2007 02:47
I believe I would recommend reviewing a resistance welding standard. To my recollection, the sheet metal code does not address resistance welding and the material would not be covered by D1.1 if it is less thn 1/8 inch thick.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By TSchmidt (*) Date 08-01-2007 11:45
Al;

Do you know where or whom I can retain this resistance welding standard from ?
Parent - By jarsanb (***) Date 08-01-2007 12:45
It's in the catalog Mwccwi listed, pg. 30. If you do not have a WPS and have not tested certain combinations of equipment settings, then that is quite a bit to expect out of your operators. They just pull an arbitrary time/pressure/heat setting? Not to mention tip diameters for given gauges. You probably see an inconsistant product. These manuals do give alot of this information. If you don't have any I think it would be a must. The equipment manufacturer manuals are excellent as well. Now this has been a few years since I've been involved with resistance welding but I believe the best one I ever found was made by "Logan", but I can't find them on-line. Maybe that wasn't their name, hopefully some else can shed a little more light. Tuffalloy has some ok publications. Your distributor should be able get these if you don't already have them.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-02-2007 01:41
Go to the AWS website. I have a copy here somewhere, but it will take some doing to find it.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Spot Welding Certification