Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Asme Section IX
1 2 Previous Next  
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 08-07-2007 02:01
in response to aevalds very good point about process development.  unlike some rather derogatory comments implying incompetence about not knowing how to set a machine. i was recently given a wps that had the wrong gas, "manufactures specs to be followed" and other meaningless info on it EVERY TEST BY EVERY WELDER FAILED. i used my experience with the "process" involved and facilitated the passing of every welders pqr. all of the parameters where outside of the original wps, joint prep, rod diameter, amperage, voltage, gas, all of which i changed from the wps and every one passed. so given this and many other experiences like this i question the wps every time it put in front of me as to its validity.
what i really like about this thread is it exposes some of the weak links in our systems and because we do not have to work with each other or can be retaliated against as far as our jobs there can be a more or less free exchange of ideas and opinions.
i personally enjoy my job much better when i am part of the process development and application than just being handed some wps that has no usable info as far as the end process application. open communication always facilitates a better end product.
darren
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-07-2007 11:51 Edited 08-07-2007 11:57
darren, your points are extremely pertinent and, in my opinion, validate the opinion myself and a few others hold in here, WPS development is  intended to provide direction and guidance to the welder and comply with Code requirements.  That is not to say that every WPS is written correctly, even if it does comply with Code.  I, and I'm sure many among us here, always ask (with respect) the opinion of the welders who use the WPS' we develop.  I just think the point has come in many instances where it's become a battle between engineering and quality (not that thats unusual) to keep our WPS' usable, while still employing all of the RELATIVE information required.  js55 (not trying to speck for him) and myself have both been around a long, long time and know full well that a good and competent welder is going to deposit sound welds... if he or she cannot do it using the WPS before them they will figure out the best way to do it.  At that point in time is where that well experienced welder needs to slap his or her engineer in the head and tell them to get their sh&t together and make things right...  Thanks for your well respected opinion in this matter.

P/S:  Any welding engineer who won't listen to their welders (and ENCOURAGE their input) needs to have their heads examined.  The one thing I know for absolute certainty after 30+ years in this business is there are many, many, many folks out there who know lots more than me!!!  *(and, they are not all degreed engineers).
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-07-2007 13:38
A respect for the competence and abilities of welders (at least those that any well reasoning engineer or QC Mgr should be using to qual procedures-many a time a good welder has saved my butt-you don't try a qual a procedure with a guy thats using a striker on a tig torch-actually watched that happen to my dismay) that I maintain is the very foundation of my 'cart before the horse' argument against too much 'anality', if I may say it that way, over WPS's. It has always been the case, and always will be the case, that a welders decisions at the coupon, at the joint, determines both the PQR and, if written intelligently, the WPS. Even if the welder is presented with a pre-PQR procedure, even if the parameters in the Pre-PQR are based upon someone else's experience, the welder will determine upon what he sees, upon puddle and arc characterisitcs, upon visual fusion confirmation, etc., if the pre established parameters are valid. The very reason that qualification has to be performed is that all the logic, all the engineering, all the calcs, and tech articles, and metallurgical beard stroking don't mean squat until the hood drops, the arc is lit, and a welder makes it real.
Having said this of course there are 'parameters' that are not to be influenced by the welders. PH, IP, PWHT, joint design, heat input, etc. These are valid engineering and metallurgical decisions. So I guess there is really two tiers of variables. Never really thought about it like that before.
But a WPS is a critical document. Is a minimum safety and quality standard. Is aminimum requirement fto allow some level of verification. So when critiqiing the abuse of WPS's make no mistake that I still support their validity and necessity.
Parent - - By drshope (*) Date 08-07-2007 14:15
I do not disagree with the validity of the WPS.  I am just at odds with the fact that all nonessitials need to be listed on my WPS. I wonder how many times I will have to revise my WPS before i cover all ranges and all unforseen circumstances I might incounter. Where am I going to list all the different types of groove welds in my WPS? Can i just put "all" to cover them?
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-07-2007 14:37
No. You need to define the groove types in some manner. The technique I always employed for ASME was to provide a diagram of the general groove types (ie, squares, V's, compounds, U's, etc.) and demonstrate them in a general WPS document wherein I included ALL of the redundant non essential variables. This Gen doc was referred to in my specific WPS's. This system passed perhaps 200 audits including boiler code, pressure piping, pressure vessels, nukes, etc., and many many customer audits.
However, under the AWS/AISC system, even though CJP groove welds can qual for all D1.1 3.12/3.13 grooves (Table 4.5  #31), which essentially refers to Figures 3.3 and 3.4, AISC auditors, in my experience are little more hard nosed and seldom allow this level of generality. Though IMO, there is no code justification for this, as long as the requirements of 3.12 and 3.13 can be textually verified.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-07-2007 14:51
Below is an example of how I specify joint designs (Note: "Typical example only sketch isn't shown):

SINGLE OR DOUBLE BEVEL, V, J, U, FILLET

NOTE: THIS WPS SHALL BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH WM-GWS-1 (and WM-GWS-2 as specified).

Weld joint configuration shall be as specified on fabrication drawings, no weld joint designs or configurations are precluded from use.

(EXAMPLE TYPE SKETCH GOES HERE)
60°  ±5° included angle

TYPICAL ROOT DETAILS & FIT-UP
Root opening: 3/32" + 1/32," - 1/8"
Land:  1/16"  + 1/32,"  - 1/16"

Mismatch:  1/32" maximum uniform mismatch, with 3/32" at any one point when centerlines of joint are offset.

Fillet weld fit-up shall be per WM-GWS-1, WM-GWS-2 or as directed by Specifications or Welding Engineer.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-08-2007 03:45
John 20013: Am I missing something, or is there a misprint where You call out a 3/32 root opening with what I read as a tolerence of +1/32" -1/8" To Me it seems like that -1/8" gives 1/32 interference.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-08-2007 08:55
typo, thanks for pointing that out DaveBoyer.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-07-2007 19:39
All in one post and in one breath I might add.

In the overall scheme of things and in a perfect world, I would tend to agree with you.

I believe part of the issue is to promote consistency between the welders that are employed by the company and to ensure predictable results.

Welders often look to the WPS for information and in many instances; it may be to the only document they have to work with. Not all welders have 30 years of diversified experience and may have limited knowledge of various base metals. They look to the "well written" WPS for guidance. Unfortunately, many WPSs, while meeting the code requirements, do not meet the needs of the end user, i.e., the welder. That seems to be supported by the comments of the welders that have responded to this thread. Imagine if Henry Ford and General Motors insisted they knew what their customers needed and ignored what their customers wanted. Oh, wait, my mistake, That is exactly what they did and continue to do. Maybe that's why U.S. customers flock to the Japanese showrooms to purchase safe cars with proven reliability. Hello Detroit and hello consultants. Know thy customer and answer their needs.

This is where the consultant earns his money. He has to learn what the need is of his client companies and their welders. Based on that knowledge, he has to develop a reasonable program of welding documents that not only meets the requirements of the applicable code, but the needs of the client as well. It has to be recognized that the needs of the client and their customers are different. One shoe does not fit all.

I find no problems with ASME, AWS, or military welding standard and specifications. Their goals are similar. The difference is that some standards fail to recognize that everyone tasked to write a WPS is not a welding engineer with 20 years experience and that everyone using the WPS is not an engineer. I appreciate their similarities and their differences and make good living developing WPSs for customers that find some of the codes frustrating to read and use. Bad for them, good for me. Between all the welding standards, I make comfortable living. Until some code body develops the perfect welding standard, there will be work enough to keep me very busy. Each has its quirks, and each needs to be manipulated to answer the customer's needs in a manner that is useful to the end user, i.e., the welder. If the welder cannot use the WPS, I agree with you, they are waste of time, money, and paper. On the other hand, if well written, they can be valuable resource for the welder, inspector, and designer. 

As a side note, I find it very interesting that some of my favorite clients don't have a formal program of WPSs, but their lead welders keep notebooks of all the different jobs they've worked on and where they log the filler metal that worked best, the details of the weld joints that were most favorable for the process and the base metal, and the welding parameters. Sounds like they have everything except the information typed on corporate letterhead. Considering the variety of base metals and various projects they do, I would hesitate to say their welders were not knowledgeable or highly skilled, but they do recognize the need for good reference information for future work.

We can argue the fine points until the cows come home and enjoy each others company while we debate the subject. Each of us will continue to do the best we can for our employers or our customers. One last word, we should not adopt the attitude of Henry Ford and ignore the needs or "wants" of our customers until its too late. Our customer is ultimately the welder. It might pay to listen to what they have to say.

Best regard - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-07-2007 20:12
Al,
"It might pay to listen to what they have to say."
For all the appearance of disagreeing with me, you sure closed with what remarkably looks like an agreement. Now I'm confused.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-07-2007 21:56
JS, I'm not dismissing or disagreeing on your major points. Only that the approach you, or I, or someone else takes is going to be different. Are we going to meet the minimum code requirements or are we going to produce a document that goes the code mandates and is usable by the people they are intended for?

How we solve the problem of welding documentation is one of personal preference and is strongly influenced by our background. I was a welder and I still get to wear a hood on occasion. The approach I take is different from that an engineer might take. As a welder, I appreciate the value of having a reference source (maybe the WPS) that lists the proper usable voltage range, wire feed speed, and electrode extension for a particular manufacturer's flux cored electrode. I know from experience the root cause for a lot of the problems with FCAW is that the electrode perform best when operated within the parameters recommended by the manufacture.  I can put that information into the WPS or I can let the welder struggle until he stumbles upon the proper settings. How many "bad" welds are going to be produced by the time he gets it right?

I can give you an example of this very situation. I was tasked with straightening out a project where the welders were experiencing a 40% cut out rate on complete joint penetration groove welds.

No WPSs were available on the site.  "Who needs WPSs? We don't need no stinking WPS" was the answer I got when I asked to see them.

I spent the first day walking around and watching how the welders were working. Every welder had set up his equipment to his liking; no two were set the same.

The second day I called a meeting with all the welders. Each welder had to requalify on plate using the welding machine I set up using the manufacturer's recommended parameters. Each welder passed the test without difficulty. I expected as much because each was a seasoned welder. The problem was that the electrode was one they had not used before. From that day onward, the rules were that I set the machines in the morning, I checked them at noon, and if the welder insisted on changing the setting, he got his money. One welder couldn't resist the urge and I paid him off. The cut out rate was less than 0.5% for the remainder of the job. Had the information been made available via a well-written WPS, they wouldn't have needed to hire me. Before I leave the subject, the one thing I heard most often that first day on the job was; "What @#$%@ settings are we supposed to use with this wire?" The welders identified the problem long before I got there, but no one listened.

So again, I'm not disagreeing with you. I simply believe the information contained in the WPS has to go beyond the minimums required by the "code", be it ASME, AWS, or military welding standard. As a welding consultant, I have to give the welder the information needed to perform the job correctly.

Does it all have to be in the WPS? No, but it should be made available by some mechanism that is controlled to ensure consistency.

One, all-inclusive WPS? Maybe, if that is the only document the welders have to work with.

A WPS with supporting annexes listing the appropriate base metals, filler metals, joint details, etc.? Sure, why not if the complexity or variety of the work justifies such a solution. 

The bottom line is that each client is unique with different needs. It's my task, as a consultant, to understand those needs, even if the client doesn't, and develop a welding documentation program that meshes with the existing program (if there is one) or give them a package that provides all the information the welder needs. After all, the goal is to keep the welder productive and to ensure welds that meet the applicable code and the end-user's expectations (which may be much more stringent than the code).

The code or standard doesn't tell us how to write a WPS. Some provide more direction than others, but most of us learn by doing and by incorporating lessons learned by our experiences. The code is going to "demand" a certain level of information, but they leave the "writer" to flesh out the level of detail needed to meet the intended goals.

No one wants to read a dissertation on writing a WPS, so I need to stop typing.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-07-2007 20:12
Al,
I agree with giving the welder the info he/she needs to do the job. I prepared a welders manual for our shop guys(all the while consulting my best welders for some of their input). Each welder that passes the welding tests, gets a stencil hammer w/ a ID stencil, a welding manual with all of the WPSs and lots of other info, and some brief training on how to use that manual and what I expect out of him as a welder. I have it laid out for easy access with an index and all the pages numbered. Any auditor can ask questions of my welders and the welder can show them the answer to their questions in black and white in their own copy of the manual. I periodically throw out questions while walking through the shop and have the welders show me where they found the answers in thier manual. I think it is a relief to a welder when they realize that they don't have to memorize all that info, just know where to go to find it when it is needed. 
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-07-2007 22:02
I use a similar approach with clients that do a large variety of work. It seem to work very well in many situations, if as you stated, training is included to show the welders how to use the information.

As a "for instance", we expect the welder's welds to meet "Code", but how many welders own a copy or have read the "code" or know what requirements he has to meet? What a great place to place the relevant information needed by the welder, in a manual. Now he can reference a document that gives him the information he needs.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 08-13-2007 05:39
can you tell me what ASME SECTION IX CRITERIA is
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-13-2007 09:02
ASME IX requires the following: For performance qualifications and PQR's only the essential variables need to be recorded and those are all that SHOULD be recorded.  For WPS's, ALL variables, including essential, supplementary essentials (only when notch toughness is a requirement) and non-essential variables must be recorded on the WPS.  It's the recording of the non-essentials that muck up most engineers...
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 08-13-2007 13:48
thanks your input Jon and not trying to sound like a complete idiot but i've never had any type of formal welding traing can you please explain this in english sorry if i insulted you was not intened i just dont know all the codes and there meanings i've been working in the oil patch and the places i have worked for dont call for all these codes heck they dont even ask for certs which helps me i've never been certed as long as it dont leak and looks good they are happy
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-13-2007 14:04
Oh, okay.  Well, for most welding work, there are constructing codes, for example, you may have heard about API Codes in oil work?  ASME Section IX is part of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Boiler and Pressure Vessel Codes (ASME, B&PV).  There are some 13 Code Sections within the B&PV Series and many other standards such as ASME B31.3, which you may also have heard mentioned.  ASME Section IX is the Code that addresses how welders, brazers and welding and brazing procedures are qualified.  Nothing is built to ASME IX, it is only a qualification Code.  Typically, but not always, welding tests in ASME IX are pipe tests.  There's tons and tons of information I could continue with....
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 08-13-2007 14:21
so if i understand right as long as it looks good and dont leak its good to go? i came to the forum witht the question cause i found a job posting on road techs website repairing jacks and the welds have to meet this criteria. am i a bad welder no sir i'm not just dont know any of the codes or the meanings behind them they give me a job and i do it repairing wash outs, setting well heads, repairing derricks, patchings holes in mud takns when they r full tricky but it can be done and i'm very picky about my work if i dont like it i grind or cut it out and redo it. why do pipe lines prefer the 5p rod over the low high i have always been told 5p is to brittle to weld with alone i was taught 5p root 5p hot pass and 7018 fill n cap
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-13-2007 14:29
Okay, well to start with, while your coupon may be graded on looks, the testing is normally bend tests; typically side bends for coupons more than 3/8" thick and root and face bends if 3/8" or under.  It is permitted to use X-Ray also but most contractors don't.  Position of testing may be just about anything, I give all my welders a 6G, which is an inclined vertical and said to be the most difficult position but we do this only to keep from having to run 2 tests (vertical and overhead), not to make it difficult for the welder.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Asme Section IX
1 2 Previous Next