Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / GTAW WPS qualification, needs RT or UT?
- - By JEEPS Date 08-02-2007 23:59
Hi all, I just want to make sure I got this down correct.
I am trying to qaulify GTAW on A36 3/8" plate using a open root groove weld. From what I understand, According to table 4.2 I need weld up figure 11 and take 4 bend tests, 2 tensile tests, and from what note A says in table 4.2, I need to also have these plates either put under RT or UT prior to any other tests following welding. Along with all that, I also need to do this test in each position. (2G, 3G up, 3G down, and 4G) if I want to qaulify this WPS to all positions. (2G covers 1G as well according to table 4.1) I was surprised to see the NDT requirement and the need to weld this rather large sample for each position but I understand why. Anyone see anything that I overlooked?

code: D1.1 2006

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
Brian Peterson, CWI
Parent - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 08-03-2007 14:28
Read the general notes below fig. 4.11.  If you're allowed to substitute side bends, you can use the assembly from fig. 4.10 (2), which is 5" shorter.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / GTAW WPS qualification, needs RT or UT?