Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Welding inspection classes?
- - By CAdams84 Date 08-03-2007 09:17
[deleted]
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-03-2007 12:21 Edited 08-03-2007 12:24
If you are looking at Hobart Institute for the same things as your WVU class (welding inspection) I would not attempt this unless you are quite an experienced welder or engineer already.  The Hobart Institute inspection classes are a preparation for the CWI (certified welding inspector) exam and are super intensive and super deep. If you don't come to those seminars with a pretty complete understaning of welding terminology, all welding and inspection processes, and decent arithimitic you may find yourself lost.

If you are thinking about taking a welding process class at the Hobart institute, there is no better place, if you can afford it.  Most Hobart classes are short term and focused on a single process or pipe configuration. Folks that graduate from Hobart classes have no trouble finding work.

Your WVU classes would most likely be more broad based and focus on 4 processes with higher level elective emphasis on one or two processes you do best. A more rounded welding education offered with communications, math, print reading, basic machining etc, as well as inspection elements as you progress into your second year.

There really may not be a down side with either school.. They are just different, and you will need to give some thought to those differences before you plunk down cash and time.
Parent - - By welderwv (*) Date 08-03-2007 12:37
I don't know if this will ease your mind or not but I know the instructors at WVU-P and they all are highly qualified.  I took classes their and I promise you will not be disappointed.  You may want to make an appointment and talk to Carl Smith who I believe still is the head professor for welding at WVU-P (Tina Buccahan is also very knowledgeable on Hobart).  Carl attended the Hobart school and may be able to help you decide.  I passed my CWI/CWE after taking his classes and I am now a welding teacher at a technical college myself and I credit him for the knowledge and training that got me the job.

I highly recommend WVU-P!!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-03-2007 17:19
Hi Welder WV!!!

Unfortunately Carl has retired... However, I wholeheartedly agree with you about the quality of education in welding inspection being offered @ WVU-Parkersburg which is just a stone's throw from the western suburbs of Pittsburgh, PA. Excellent school IMHO!!!

Btw, which Technical college do you teach @?

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By moe Date 09-29-2007 04:27
Hey I'm starting to study for the C.W.I. exam can you give me some advice? I've had my I.C.B.O. S.S.W. cert but I really want my A.W.S. C.W.I., my math skill's need work what type of math is on the test? Whats the best way to study for this test so I can pass.
                                                                moe
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 09-29-2007 16:59
Moe

If you have experience doing inspection for structural fabrication, you will have a leg - up.  Try to immerse yourself in the subject.  I recommend that you read 20 pages each day of the Welding Symbols Book, the Definitions Book, and the Welding Inspection Handbook and The CM 94.  When you are done with each book, start over, 20 pages each night.  If you can't manage 20 pages each night, try 10 pages.  The drgree of intensity of your immersion is up to you.

Read one chapter of the WIT book every day.  After you have read all the WIT Chapters several times, and If you can get the WIT-Workbook, take one  practice exam for one chapter at a time, and give yourself a time of 45 seconds for each question.  Each time you take the self timed exam, check the answer sheet for the right answer to each question. (Note - Some of the answer sheet answers are wrong!) Then look up the answer to each question in the WIT, and read a few paragraphs each side of the paragraph that gives you the answer.   It is important that you re-read the chapter after you take the first exam and have looked up the answers.   Don't be afraid to look up the information elsewhere, like in the AWS Welder's Handbook.

Do not use up all the workbook questions, until the week before you are going to sit for the exam! Save at least one practice exam for a last minute confidence builder.

As for Hands-On practice, do whatever you can on your Special Inspection job, and plan on taking the AWS, one day, Hands-On Training seminar.  Learn to use the inspection instruments, especially the 6 inch ruler and the Fillet Gauges.  When you practice with these instruments, get in the habit of making very careful evaluations.

This CWI examination is more detailed than the ICC Examination, and the Practical Examination is completely new to your experience.  Your ICC examination experience will not prepare you for the difficulty of the AWS CWI examinations.

Study, Study Study and good luck.

Joe Kane

Parent - By MOEBRYSON Date 10-21-2007 06:34 Edited 10-21-2007 06:38
      JOE KANE
This is moe thanks very much for your advice on taking the A.W.S./C.W.I. exam Ive started my 20 pages a night in the wit book its not to bad because I really enjoy my work.I just downloaded all the forms Ill need to take the test in January,08 all I can do is give it my best shot and God help me Im planning on passing the first time but if I dont Ill Do it however many times I have to IM GOING TO GET MY C.W.I. stamp whatever it takes!!!! And to he best of my knowlage its D.1.1 2002 there giving the test right? i HAVE THE WORK BOOKS FOR BOTH THE wit AND CODE CLINIC 2002 AND YOUR RIGHT ON WHEN SAYING SOME OF THE ANSEWRS ARE WRONG I found them to.
     Anyway thanks again sure would like to keep in touch with you some how.   MOE                                                                                                                 

mydadWBBSR@hotmail.com
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Welding inspection classes?