Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME IX
- - By NEQA (**) Date 08-03-2007 19:21 Edited 08-03-2007 19:25
Does anyone know if Section IX considers FCAW-SA equivalent to SAW-A? I recall ASME and AWS are a little different in processes and am in the field right now, without access to the Code books. Appreciate any assistance.

Also, can a PQR be used as a WPS if nothing changes? 
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-03-2007 20:45
In my opinion, the answer to both question is no.  FCAW is flux core, SAW is subarc; each has a different set of essential variables.  A PQR is only required to have the essential variables listed whereas a WPS requires that all (Essential, Non-Essential and Supplementary Essential Variables) be listed and also has more complete information for the welder.  Thats just my take.
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 08-04-2007 01:58
Agreed.  The processes are different.  Read the first few paragraphs of QW-401.

Charles.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-06-2007 14:45
jonand charles are right. And if I may add, the simple fact that you simply have to have a WPS written and in place. Despite my thoughts on WPS's in another thread (never an advocacy to violate the code), you will have to comply with the code. And ASME says you have to have a WPS.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-06-2007 16:17
js55, I think our statements in another thread were simply driving home the point in which we both completely agree, we must comply with Code, but all too often there are others who think if a spoon full of sugar is good a sack full must be better....
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME IX