Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / GMAW spray xfer verticle up for D1.1
- - By No Jeep Date 08-03-2007 19:52
   I am new to this forum and am seeking help.  These test are new to me and was hoping someone here has performed the following process for AWS D1.1  vert up  Spray tranfer GMAW using 170-200 amps  19-23 volts 92% 8% mix.

I can achieve spray on flat;however, on verticle up its really getting discouraging.

Basic question is has anyone here performed the D1.1  using this procedure.  This is a first time test for me as a cert.

Thanks
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-03-2007 20:05
Can you switch over to a FCAW wire to run the vert/up? GMAW is sooooo fluid, and won't go uphill and defy the gravitational pull of the earth. You can spray with FCAW and go uphill(E71T-1 with 100% CO2).
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-03-2007 20:58
I ran some tests in 2G, but not 3G. Our spray setup was like this: 92Ar/8CO2, 225a/25.1v, travel was about 14 ipm

Can't help on the Vert/Up, We always switch over to FCAW to run uphill without pulsing. GMAW is too fluid to run it uphill, I can understand your frustration.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-04-2007 08:20
I have never  done spray arc vert except with aluminum..not sure about the process it was a very fancy pulse welder..very different than running steel it was not hard at all.   If this is a qualified procedure the only thing I can think of that might help is to reduce the amount of material you are laying down as much as possible "less wire"  and a very high gas flow..higher than you would flat with spray.   Its just a stab in the dark....good luck and if you get it working please post your solution   I would be interested.
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 08-04-2007 12:11
It isn't possible to run GMAW uphill in the 3G position.  You can:

1.  Change to GMAW-S (cheaper, more potential for LOF defects)
2.  Change to GMAP-P (requires expensive machine, can be hard to set up)
3.  Change to FCAW (cheap machine, less chances for defects)

You can run both GMAW and SAW in the 2G position with some work, and each has applications, but again its hard to beat FCAW.

HTH,
Phil
Parent - - By No Jeep Date 08-04-2007 18:55
Hey thanks guys

I need to change my proceedure.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-06-2007 06:05
Sorry to disagree with you Phil. We astronauts have been making repairs on the space station for years using spray mode transfer. No gravity, no problem.

Just kidding.

Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-06-2007 12:16
Al,

No need to go all the way into orbit.

Just trade in your Mig machine for a Flux core machine  :)
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-07-2007 20:45
Now what do I do with this rocket in my back yard? And that welder thingy I bought wasn't exactly cheap you know!

Al
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 08-06-2007 17:44
LOL....hadn't thought about that possibility in my response ;)

Of course, getting ANY droplet to go where you aim it might be a challenge in space!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-07-2007 20:48
Actually Phil, without gravity, the droplets fly in a straight line because there are no external forces other than the tangental magnetic field................

Now I'm scaring myself. I didn't put on my high top rubber boots this morning and my BS is getting too deep even for me.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-07-2007 21:39
Wow Al, I think you've done an excellent job of the proverbial "if you can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with BS" statement. It all sounds very profound and brilliant to me. Enjoying the responses and thread immensely. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-08-2007 03:24
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Back at "cha"!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-08-2007 04:27 Edited 08-08-2007 04:30
I've got a friend named "Cha"... No BS, he can play the congas and timbales reminiscent of Tito Puente!!! Hell of a percussionist!!! :) :) :)

I wonder if the shape formation of those droplets would change in a true vaccum now that you've mentioned it???

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 08-08-2007 15:47
Have your equipment distributor get an inverter pulsed gmaw machine in to your shop for a demo. Try several brands and determine the easiest one to operate. If your distributor balks; get a distributor that will work with you. The Miller Access and PipePro works easy to setup and weld out of position with GMAW pulsed. Set the machine for the weld process; gmaw p, wire type and diameter and gas type. Then set for welding condition: # 1 Set the wire feed speed for "hotter/colder" (penetration, travel speed & deposition rate), # 2 set the arc length "longer/shorter"  and # 3 set the arc cone width "wider/narrower". Pretty simple.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-08-2007 16:19
Max is correct about the Miller GMAW-P power supplies.

One more Miller note...  The Miller 350-P is about one third the cost of Axcess or Pipe pro and if you don't require RMD (Regulated Metal Deposition) for open roots in all positions on pipe, than it will pulse stainless and aluminum alloys just about as well.

Lincoln Powerwave 355 will also pulse as well as the Axcess, Pipepro or 350P.  Some think it is a bit easier to set up and the drive roll system is the best on the market.
Parent - - By No Jeep Date 08-15-2007 02:06
Guys thats very helpful

Thanks again............now wait a minute astronaut??? Really??   If so gotta hear some stories
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-15-2007 02:57
Now, Will somebody please spell vertical properly!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-15-2007 04:10
Joe, things like that only bother people who KNOW how to spell. :-)
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 08-15-2007 13:33
My quirk in these threads is when we use "THAN" when "THEN" is the appropriate word
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-15-2007 18:39 Edited 08-15-2007 20:00
Hi Everybody!!!
First of all this is a welding forum, not an english grammar, composition, spelling forum!!!
Ohh yeah one more thing - NOBODY"S PERFECT!!! So get off your high horse and stick to criticizing welds - CAPISH??? NUFF SAID!!! Every one in here, and I'm talking everyone has misspelled more than once, used inappropriate or incorrect grammar more than once, has repeat themselves more than once...
Ther you see??? I forgot to add the letters "ed" after spelling repeat!!! HELP ME!!!! :( :) :) :)

Do you know what really get's me into "Tooting my horns"??? People that criticize too much about some the most irrevelant things that have nothing to do with whether or not the intent of the message or the point intended got across!!! We mostly are welders here... Sure there are quite a few inspectors, engineers, and instructors who participate in this forum, but it still does'nt make it a writing composition, or an English literature FORUM!!! No Folks!!! This is a WELDING FORUM!!! So get used to the slight imperfections one might encounter while reading, and learning some very fascinating threads on topics that are not always covered ot discussed in depth @ work, in school or found in a book!!!

I have a suggestion.... If incorrect spelling or grammar irks you so much... Copy and paste the post, or the entire thread onto a MS Word blank document, or it's equivalent and use the tools in that application if you have trouble understanding what the poster is trying to convey!!! Thanks for reminding me to put up a smiley - yeah right!!! :( :( :) Whoops!!! Satan made me do it!!! Here we go that's better: :) :) :) P.U.S.H.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 08-15-2007 19:26 Edited 08-15-2007 19:36
Henry,
There were no :) this time.
'wasn't trying to offened anyone - just following the comments, I am sorry if you feel offended Henry -ssbn727 - I really enjoy your addtions to our forum especially the smile and I'm sorry that I contributed to not using them this time :(

not how i missspelled additions :)

PS I will PUSH for forgiveness :)
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-15-2007 19:38
I guess I forgot !!! :) :) :)
Like I said Nobody's perfect!!! :)
I was'nt offended with you personally, I'm dissappointed in some of the folks here that let the little insignificant mistakes found in the written word, get to them -that's all!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-15-2007 19:49
Hi Henry, now I'm confused, I left a post for this thread on the "off the topic bar and grill" section, WOW. What I meant to say here was" I often times enjoy the misspellings as they can either end up being rather comical or else they are like a puzzle and I have to invoke a bit of brain power to figure out what was meant by what ended up being in text. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-15-2007 20:10 Edited 08-15-2007 20:13
Hi Allan!
I'm partially to blame here for the confusion :(
Like I said before "Nobody's Perfect" :) :) :)

This friggin chemo that I'm on these days is a little disturbing on how I tend to interpret thing at times so forgive me if I offend some folks because sometimes I do'nt realize how confusing I may be at times until after the fact :( Wow!!! This batch of chemo is affecting me way differently than the last batch I was on!!!

To put it mildly, I feel like this stuff is like steroids for the brain at times, and then I calm down only to realize that maybe I should take a break from posting... At least until My total being gets better used to the side effects of this "Wonder Drug!!!" Maybe I should take a couple of weeks off like Chuck did or at least until I can handle my emotions a little better... What do you think folks???

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 08-15-2007 20:14
Hey Henry, don't get too worked up, I think most still appreciate the confusion, fun, information, comraderie(hope I spelled that right), and many other things that have evolved from the forum. Hope that your fight is progressing positively also. Allan
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-16-2007 15:28
Henry

Will someone spell nuculer correctly.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-17-2007 01:15
Most of the past few presidents can't even pronounce it.  One of them was in submarines.
Bill
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-17-2007 05:01
Y'all talkin bout Jimmy??? Or is it George "Junior" Bkoz last tyme i checked, he's still in official cabaciddy as our prez :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-17-2007 05:06
Shuwah!!!

It's "NUK - LEE - err" :) :) :) In other words: NUCLEAR...
Or it's pronounced "NU - CLEAR!!!" by some other folks:) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-17-2007 13:59
Henry

I have heard your favorite president and even Jack Kennedy and another president pronounce it NOOOK - YOU - LER!

Now, Henry, you don't want to be unpatriotic?  Do You?!?!?!  Don't you know there is a war going on?  We need to support the troops. WE don'tneed any gratuitous criticisms, especially of your favorite president!!!!

I remember when your favorite president Jimmy Carter pronounced it NOOK - LEAR.   Nooww He was NOOKLEAR submarine Captain!  Don't you think he would know how to say it properly?!?!?

(I still grit my teeth when I hear an old newsreel of Jack Kennedy pronouncing CUBA as CUBER.)
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-17-2007 14:31
ROTFLMAO JOE!!! :) :) :) :) :)

That was just too funny!!!!!
Thanks pal - I needed to read that :) :) :)

Respectfully.
Henry
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 08-15-2007 19:51
:) :) :)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-16-2007 01:28
Some peepels will do anne ting fer a star!

Al
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-16-2007 02:05
Henry

Will someone please spell ventricle properly?  This "verticle" spelling is getting on my nerves.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-16-2007 02:57 Edited 08-22-2007 03:59
Well Joe, He's certainly No Jeep because only a true Jeep could :) :) :)
Hey Al! Even if I tried my best, I could'nt catch up with Larry, Jon or JW for that matter but, thanks fer sharing!!! :) :) :) That's how they pronounce "for" here in "the burgh" :) although I'm not sure if that's the way it's "spelledd ova hea"  "Yuntz to ya" :) :) :) Btw Al, what's taking you so long??? ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-16-2007 06:21
citizize ,yspeeelink all uu waank cuse i cant helop itz usuolly caase i mmm intoe misk 4thg-5th bear buys tim I geek onn hereer....i steel mak mi poaint
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-16-2007 13:10
Verticical is opposite hozontal, right?

Al
Parent - By pmedicann (*) Date 08-18-2007 21:16
I have my high school students running vertical up spray pulse welded. We use a PowerMig 350 and it took this young man, not a cream of the crop welder, about 10 minutes to figure it out. We did however run 95/5 gas and 045 wire. The PowerMig is really a slick welder. I have 10 of them in my student shop that get beat to hell and back...they keep on ticking and have not failed me once.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / GMAW spray xfer verticle up for D1.1