Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / GMAW spray xtransfer for D1.1
- - By No Jeep Date 08-03-2007 20:35
I have a procedure set up ..it is as follows  98%argon 2%co2  .035 wire ER70s-6  170-200 amps 19-23 volts

I admit I am having a tough time here doing the verticle up w/ spray.  I was curious if anyone here has created and performed a similair test. 

Let me know if you need more details.
Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-03-2007 21:22
Jeep

True GMAW spray transfer simply will not go vertical up.  The puddle is just too fluid.

Your voltages are more toward the globular range which might go up but you will have difficulty with adequate sidewall fusion.

@ around 25 volts and 400 ipm your 0.035 ER70S-X will have a nice pinch effect and an open arc axial spray transfer. But this will only be effective in the flat and horizontal fillet positions.

You might want to think about FCAW and E71T-1.  You will have great fusion and nearly as good a deposition rate as spray GMAW and way better out of position deposition than pulsed GMAW.
Parent - By No Jeep Date 08-04-2007 18:52
Thanks for your response

Thats the answer I was hoping for
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / GMAW spray xtransfer for D1.1