Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Welding on ships
- - By Andersen_Welder Date 08-05-2007 20:37
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question...for welding on large ships. Is that Flux Core? or Tig?

Thanks
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-05-2007 21:47
This is a "Trick Question", not a "Quick Question" - right?
Parent - By turbolaser (**) Date 08-05-2007 23:04
Flux core and subarc mainly for the structural part of ship and tig/smaw root with fcaw/smaw fill and cap on the pipe.
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 08-12-2007 13:53
My experience with ships is limited,  I did some work on ships in small yards in Dutch Harbor, Alaska years ago.  That being said, I've worked with a lot of folks who have quite a bit of experience in large shipyards and have picked their brains.  In this day and age with technology being what it is, I'd say you could run into almost anything on a ship.  Up to and including an orbital process used.  I was offered a nice package last year to go to Seattle if I could TIG and SMAW high nickel content metals.  I turned it down in favor of a better job.  I notice you've asked earlier in the forum about types of welding to learn.  I will echo others opinions, the more certifications and process's you can learn the better of you'll be.  Also any other related skills will serve you well, such as pipe and or structural fitting and layout.  If you are well rounded in the trade and willing to work (and travel at times) the world is your oyster.  All that being said,  in my humble opinion there are a lot better places to work than a shipyard BUT they are a great place to start and develop skills that will take you as far as you want to go.  Best of luck to you
Parent - By pandav143 Date 11-03-2007 04:58
flux core
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 11-04-2007 03:26
As you mentioned, as well as all the other major processes.
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 11-06-2007 10:40
I believe a lot of them use dualshield.  There's a guy on weldingweb.com that works in the shipyards.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Welding on ships