Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AISC shop certification vs. IAS (ICC, IBC) certification
- - By thcqci (***) Date 08-06-2007 21:21
I am familiar enough with AISC shop certification program even though we are not certified.  We have contiplated it in the past and not seen where we thought it would be economically feasable for our business model here.  We have adopted many of the practices that we would need to if we were to go forward with an AISC audit.  There are some here that have gotten wind of the shop certification program by IAS to certify a shop for IBC work  ( http://www.iasonline.org/Fabricator_Inspection_Program/docs.html ) .  Since IBC is becoming larger and spreading east, there is a thought here that sooner or later this will overtake and supplant AISC and we will be forced to go that route.  Further it is thought that the AISC certification will not be sufficient and that IAS will reign.  I have my own opinions but will not voice them yet.  Anyone certified that can endorse it over AISC?  Any opinions? 
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-07-2007 13:54
Wow. This is good discussion point. I think the AISC process has turned into a bit of a monster, with some requirements in palce that sound really good on paper to people who don't actualy participate in any kind of fabiraction. An alternative might counterbalance this disturbing tendency. Though I understand the IAS process is prohibitive due to cost. I would surely love some clarification ont his myself.
Parent - By gkcwi (**) Date 08-07-2007 15:42
It seems the West Coast is using the IBC with the local building inspectors following the wording in the code that allow's the IAS system. I my self think that IAS shop program in some ways is in-fact better than the AISC program. But on the EAST Coast the local building inspector "SEEM TO FOLLOW WHAT EVER THE ENGINNER SAYS". An the AISC has convinced the East Coast enginner's that their system, is the best thing since sliced bread, if you know what I mean. So the building inspector just defers to the Enginneer's wishes. It would really be nice to see all these groups- AISC, IBC, State, Federal, AWS- Sit down for once in for all an say that we going to ALL USE the same program across the country. But I don't think anyone is willing to give up their piece of the pie. So we all go along, trying to figure out what to use when you bid a job, an pray it doesn't come back to bite you later.

Greg 
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 08-07-2007 16:21
Have you let AISC know which requirements you don't think are good or reasonable?

Hg
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-07-2007 17:35
Speaking for myself, I have not been able to participate in any forums that would allow such communication, other than relating such concerns to auditors of course. But my understanding is that the bulk of the issues I have have been issues with people for some time (I may be new to this industry sector but others aren't) and that those who decide are very well aware of them.
My thought is that there are influencing interests that resist change. Change will only be brought about IMO by some motivating force. Such as a certification alternative.
Money, or lack therof talks.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 08-07-2007 20:45
Find a contact address for the cert committee and send them a letter.

Keep in mind that the market audience for any cert program is not the certified shops, it's the specifiers who ask for that cert.  If the cert program is perceived as too weak, no one will specify it.  So there are forces from AISC's constituent industries that might want fewer requirements, and forces from the owners/specifiers that want more.

Hg
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / AISC shop certification vs. IAS (ICC, IBC) certification