Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Max and min fillet weld size for Fig 4.19
- - By JEEPS Date 08-07-2007 15:31
I am doing a WPS qual and am having a hard time finding what the minimum multiple pass weld size would be if T1=1/2" and T2=3/16". Am I correct with doing a 3/16" single pass fillet weld on the one side? I don't know if the code specifically limits the maximum weld size on a t-joint whether it is a single pass or multi pass. I found the lap joint max size in 2.3.2.9. Also is there somewhere in the book that would list the maximum size for GTAW with a single pass/ multi pass? I did find info for other processes in table 3.7 but they don't list GTAW.

thanks in advance for any help,
Brian
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-09-2007 00:59
What code?

Al
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 08-09-2007 17:21
well, judging by what he said about 2.2.3.9 and the max size fillet for a lap joint i's say he is using D1.1.  If you look at p.204 table 5.8 for minimum fillet weld sizes and go to note (a) it tells you that T equals the thickest part joined witch in your case is 1/2".  The minimum fillet for 1/2" plate is 3/16"  So i'd you can get a 3/16" fillet in one pass.
Parent - - By JEEPS Date 08-11-2007 04:44
Can't believe I didn't put what code, sorry about that. It is D1.1. I just don't see any max size limitations for fillet welds that aren't lap joints. Part of the qaulification test says max single pass size. I did a 3/16" pass on the one side that asked for the max size single pass weld.

Thanks though,
Brian
Parent - - By hamilton (*) Date 08-17-2007 18:48
You can see Table of Minimum Fillet Weld Size requirements for all D1 Series on www.WPSAmerica.com

Browse Demo 2 (custom form for WPS, PQR) and click on Sketch Selections, then click on Fillet Sketches.

Hope that also help.

Hamilton
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 08-23-2007 15:19
Brian,

Your initial post mentions a couple different things.  I'm not sure if you're looking solely for GTAW or for something else, but excluding GTAW, have you looked at Table 3.7, which shows the max. single pass fillet sizes for each position? This is without regard to the single pass requirements of A588 steel.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-02-2007 06:24
table 4.4, plate t-test says multiple pass, the minimum size to be used in construction will qualify for that size and larger fillet weld
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Max and min fillet weld size for Fig 4.19