Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / gmaw welder certification
- - By hittman375 (*) Date 08-07-2007 18:52
I have had a couple customers that have inquired about getting welders certified in short arc mig for AWS D1.1. I DO KNOW THAT SHORT ARC MIG IS NOT PREQUALIFIED, BUT MY CUSTOMERS DO NOT WANT TO PROVIDE A WELD PROCEDURE. THEY ACT LIKE I SHOULD HAVE ONE SITTING HERE WAITING FOR PEOPLE TO QUALIFY TO. SHOULD I HAVE TO PROVIDE A WELD PROCEDURE FOR THEIR WELDERS TO QUALIFY TO?
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 08-07-2007 19:41
Establish a WPS, do a documented PQR (mechanical testing etc.) and charge them a substantial fee; then test their welders as they require at an additional fee.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-09-2007 00:47
If the client is qualifying welders for GMAW-S and they are working to D1.1, they have to qualify a procedure. If the welders are qualified, but there's no qualified procedure to use for fabrication, the welder quals are meaningless. A WPS qualified by testing isn't typically transferable to another organization/company. That is, unless they purchase a license to use the standard WPSs sold by AWS. All very convenient wouldn't you say?

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / gmaw welder certification