Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Clarke Power Products 130EN
- - By Lee90071 Date 03-22-2001 00:56
Is there anyone familiar with Clarke Power Products 130EN welder? This will be MIG unit that will be used to work on a race car and not a shop unit, hence the opting for the 130A/120VAC unit. Thanks if you have any information on this unit or Clarke products in general
Parent - - By John H. UK (*) Date 03-22-2001 16:34
I think I might have the same make welder as you're thinking about. We just have Clarke over here who sell #EN MIG machines. Their logo is just the word Clarke and the machines are either blue or red (The newer ones). I have a Clarke 105EN. I don't do any reactor work and so even though it's really cheap it's good for what I need it to do. But there are obvious problems with anything that cheap. The biggest and MEANEST problem with these are the guns. In two words they're god awful. The amount of pull you need to put on the trigger is emense compared to other guns and your finger will proberly have a shorter work time than the welder itself. When I do long welds I often need to keep both hands on the gun just so I don't accidentally let go. I'm not sure if the guns are any better in their newer 'red' range but if they aren't it's certainly something to consider. I wouldn't say it's too much of a problem but it's VERY tedious, and elastic band might help. If I could now I would have skipped buying the Clarke and saved up for a nice Miller or something similar. The Clarke is diffinitly useful, very much so, but if you can, try getting something a bit more recognised in welding, that has a nice gun.

John
Parent - By Lee90071 Date 03-22-2001 16:53
Thank you, John.
According to the US MFG's representive, the models now offered over here have a TWECO "type" gun, but if the trigger pull is as hard as your's is I will most likely buy another, or utilize my 17 yr old son's youthful strength! hah-hah. Thanks for your input, I'm hoping that for use at the track that the welder will fit our needs, as from all I've been able to ascertain, it's feautres match or exceed the MIller and Lincoln models in the same power range and is easily $200 (US) less expensive. Since you have a Clarke unit, do you use gas shielding? Also with or without gas, have you found your welding with this unit to be satisfactory? Thank you again, John.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Clarke Power Products 130EN