Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / explain diff between metal core and dual shielding and flux
- - By No Jeep Date 08-09-2007 20:27
For the longest time I always thought there was either flux core or solid wire.

Now I learn of terms such as metal core, and dual shield.

Is dual shield using a flux core with a shielded gas?  If so why? 
Is metal core just another name for solid wire? or just the oppostite of flux core with the flux on the outside.

Wow just when you think your starting to know your stuff you get humbled pretty quick.

For those that respond dont feel like you have to write a dissertation.....I know these are broad questions.
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 08-09-2007 22:55
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 08-09-2007 23:02
Solid wire requires a shielding gas to protect the molten metal.
Metal Core wire is a hollow tubular wire filled with metal oxides inside requiring a shielding gas.
Flux core wire (dual shield) also a hollow tubular wire but filled with fluxing agents similar to flux on smaw electrodes may require an external shielding gas plus the gas produced from the wire's flux.
Flux cored self shielded creates enough shielding gas from the tubular wires flux and requires no external shielding gas.
The shielding gas may be 100% CO2 or a mixture of Argon with CO2 for steel welding.
Parent - By No Jeep Date 08-10-2007 05:50 Edited 08-10-2007 14:06
Thanks Max

Now I need to figure out when to use these processes and when not to.

Like I said I've only used solid and flux core and alluminum wires.

And folks say that GTAW is complicated to learn.  Ha Gmaw has plenty of variables too.

I appreciate the detailed responses................thanks guys!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / explain diff between metal core and dual shielding and flux