Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 3 G test questions
- - By ddrisco 2 Date 08-10-2007 01:47
Hello all,
So I have been working in a fab shop for a 8 months, and I am planning to go for my 3G unlimited thickness vert. test, then my 4G. My boss is, well seems to be, little help, (think that he is worried when I pass cause, for fear that I will get a better paying job) Any way, I some questions about my final pass. ie the wash pass with a 7018.  I feel that the wash pass is to wide ie going from one edge of the beveled plate to the other edge. I asked my boss and got "yeah that's it" I have passed all my bend tests (ie) I bend them in our iron worker, and well I have had one break but that was in the 3/8 plate not in my weld area.  any way any help would be great
thanks
Damien
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 08-10-2007 11:31
3G unlimited thickness vert. test   ????in the 3/8 plate not in my weld area???
You just practicing on the 3/8" plate? I would practice on 1" plate there is a bit of difference- thats why the two test qualify of different thicknesses.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 08-10-2007 16:52
I'm pretty sure he meant that the only failure he had was in a 3/8" coupon, and that the failure was outside of the welded area of the coupon. 

Hey, if your boss is cagey about helping you out, he may just be making sure you're self-reliant.  Or maybe he doesn't know himself.  You're probably best off practicing until you can run it in your sleep, then bust the test out.  If you think the cap is too wide then it probably is.  Try dividing the cap into two passes.
Parent - By ddrisco (*) Date 08-11-2007 16:54
Yeah thats what I did, it looked much better, darn thing is I keep getting the plate to fail not the weld,, I think my break on the the iron worker ( the Prainha) I use is a little to aggressive, it tends to bend the 1 inch plate or 3/8 th's to a right angle and well it breaks it, not really bending it.  The next test is Over head, man I hate that one , seem to  burn my self a lot even haha ( thanks
DD
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 3 G test questions