Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Well, after 5-1/2 years, I've finally done it!
- - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-10-2007 09:01
I've finally given notice to my present employer and will be heading out for new adventures!  I'll be staying on through the end of November to help transition my replacement and assist in our ASME and NBIC Surveys but then I'll be free-wheeling!  Nothing firmed up yet, but there's a few irons glowing in the embers.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 08-10-2007 09:08
jon , keep us posted on what you do or need . good luck . willie
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-10-2007 09:18
Thank you Willie!  I'll still be frequenting the Forum so I'll update everyone as soon as my business address changes.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-10-2007 13:11
Congrats Buddy! Do keep me informed on your future plans.
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 08-10-2007 13:09
Well congrats to you.  If that's what make YOU happy, that is all that matters!!
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-10-2007 13:34
Thanks to both of you.
Parent - - By reddoggoose (**) Date 08-10-2007 17:24
Any particular reason for wanting to drag up?
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-10-2007 17:28
Nothing that I'd discuss publically.  Just a myriad of things, no ultimate issues, leaving on very good circumstances.
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 08-10-2007 17:52
That's the only way to leave Jon, good for you.  This is a small world, and you never know when you'll have to cross a that bridge again.  You surely want it to still be standing and not burned to the ground!
Parent - By reddoggoose (**) Date 08-11-2007 02:32
I understand, wasn't looking to pry. Judging by the insights you have given on this forum I'm sure you will have many opportunities.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-10-2007 19:03
Good Luck. I am sure you will do well. Remember us when you are famous :)
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-10-2007 19:04
Thanks!  I'll remember you anyway because I have no plans to become famous!!!  Only rich, very, very rich!!!  (Guess I better snap outta it, it's only 3:00 and I'm hallucinating!!!!)
Parent - By chuck meadows (***) Date 08-10-2007 21:18
Jon,
  I am very happy for you. But remember, our relationship goes far beyond this Forum. I wish you and Karen the very best and hope I will not lose contact with you. Friends like yourself are once-in-a-lifetime relationship, not to mention the support you've given me during this time of illness. Every time I start feeling down, I look up and there is an e-mail from you giving me encouragement. That goes far beyond just a friend/friend thing. It is a God send thing. You will succeed !!!

Chuck
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-11-2007 03:05
Good luck from me too.
Bill
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-11-2007 04:30
Hi Jon!

"May the winds of change be on your back, fair winds to push you to your destiny... May you encounter flying dolphins along the way to guide you throughout your new journey, and wherever you land laddy - make sure to make it home - sweet home" :)

An old retired sailor recited me that sort of prayer once in Holy Loch, Scotland a very long time ago :) :) :) Btw, if you happen to see those flying dolphins along side you in your journey, like the Aussie's say "Nara-worry Mate!!!" Because, it's a sign of good things coming your way :) :) :)

All the best to both you and your family Jon!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-11-2007 09:16
Thanks Guys!!!!  Chuck (and all) I am the type of person who places great value of personal relationships, I am only leaving my job, not the forum or my friends!!!  I hope you and Mary are doing well also Chuck!  You two are truly life-long friends!

Thanks too Henry and all of my other brothers and sisters in the forum! 

This is really just a change of jobs I'm looking at, something many of us have done several times during our careers, I'm not fearing but excited about facing new challenges and more importantly, the aspects of learning new things! 

My current ride has been full of frustrations but I can't say that I didn't also have a lot of personal satisfaction at times, especially in being part of their tremendous growth.   I also learned an awful lot, we're so lucky to hold a profession that offers so many challenges and opportunities!
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 08-11-2007 11:43
Hey jon,
Best of luck in your new adventure. I made 14 moves in my career and never looked back on any of them or had second thoughts. Of course, I never burned any bridges either....just in case. I found each move enhanced my knowledge/experience base and most importantly.....$$$$$$$. The first move was the hardest....mainly the pondering of my decision....after that....easy. For myself, I found once the job or working conditions became dreaded when waking in the morning....I knew it was time to move on. Good luck and keep us informed......Denny
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-11-2007 12:48
Thanks Denny!  I've actually quit counting the number of times I've moved and, unfortunately, can't say I've never burned any bridges, but age has brought at least a tiny bit of wisdom to me and know far better nowdays!  New challenges and opportunities are what keeps life exciting and fresh!
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-12-2007 03:10
It is best to leave before You get to the point where You  hate to go to work. Good luck in Your future endevors.
Parent - - By medicinehawk (**) Date 08-12-2007 10:57
When one door closes, another door opens. I am sure you'll be better off as you'll further add to your diversity of experience.
Be well.
Hawk
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 08-13-2007 01:03
Jon,
You know probably better than anyone the amount of times I have changed jobs and unfortunately I have burned a few bridges along the way as well but I can honestly say they were bridges I never wanted to cross again anyway.
Never been happier than where I am at at the moment so I sincerely hope you find the place where you feel not only challenged but also valued,
Best of luck,
Shane
Parent - - By chall (***) Date 08-13-2007 12:36
Good luck is the conventional thing to say.  But I know that in your case, luck has nothing to do with it.  I'm sure you'll land on solid ground and be better for it.

You know where to come for a relaxing break if you want one.

I'm sure we'll stay in touch.

Charles.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 08-13-2007 12:57
Thanks Charles!  There is a distinct possibility I may be closer to you than I am now!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-14-2007 07:24
I wish you good fortune with your endeavors Jon...from what I can tell you are very much on top of your game and will make a difference no matter where you land......the important part is I hopE you enjoy it!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Well, after 5-1/2 years, I've finally done it!