Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Dip-Pak 200
- - By PatD Date 08-11-2007 06:59
Hello. I Recently picked up an Airco Dip-Pak 200. The thing works great except for in the highest range, it will not arc whatsoever. Still feeds wire, just no arc, on any of the 8 settings of the highest power range. Any clues what this could likely be? I'm quite new to welding, and have never had one opened up until about 15 minutes ago. Looks like it could really only be the transformer, but any other suggestions???????

Thanks in advance.

PatD
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 08-11-2007 12:01
Hey PatD,
I would do some investigation of the wiring connections and the possibility of a defect in the switch before concluding the transformer is bad. If it works at the lower settings, I would doubt a bad transformer and look at the connections, and do a continuity test on the switch positions. Be a lot easier to replace just a switch. Good Luck.....Denny
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-12-2007 04:22
Denny has good advice, as always. If someone moved the range selector under load they could have burned away the contacts. These machines are pretty simple inside, but the owners manual doesn't offer much help for Your problem. You could check for voltage between the gun feed [cable conected to the outgoing side of the feeder] and the conections from the transformer to the range selector. This should show about 50 volts when the contactor is closed [when the gun trigger is pulled]. You need to be really carefull working on the machine with the covers open, there are plenty of electrically hot parts. If you have voltage at all 3 conections I would suspect the range selector switch. That high range isn't needed for dip transfer, but I guess You would need it for spray.
Parent - - By PatD Date 08-12-2007 08:36
Thanks for the info guys. I had a chance to spend some more time with it yesterday evening, and it looks like the contact in the switch had been worn away, like it had been switched under load. Simple clean-up, and bend it a bit tighter to the rotor, and voila. It all works great. Thanks again for the info, and take care.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-13-2007 02:11
That is a nice machine. I have a red one with the euro gun connection. It is fitted with a MIGET spoolgun and a 15' regular gun.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Dip-Pak 200