Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What the best Argon Co2 Regulator moderate price to buy?
- - By SCHOONER (*) Date 08-11-2007 07:12
Hi Guys (newbie here)

Just bought a MillerMatic135 to do my car restoration on 18 to 22 gauage sheet metal.

What I'd like to know is: What the best moderate priced: Argon Co2 Flowmeter Regulator for Mig Welding to buy?

Thank you
GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Schooner
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 08-11-2007 11:36
Hey SCHOONER,
There are quite a few brands & models on the market that would serve your needs, even the imported ones. They vary in price, so do some shopping. A good place to start is E-Bay....you can get a unit very reasonably there....Good Luck.....Denny
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 08-12-2007 15:35
I would go with a brand name product myself as when it comes to regulators and flow meters you get what you pay for. They run anywhere from 150.00 to 275.00. either way if you buy a good one they will last a lifetime. I use one that I've had for 18 years payed $175.00 for it and it pays for itself every time I use it.
Parent - - By SCHOONER (*) Date 08-13-2007 02:53
Hi Makeithot

Thank you for you reply/imput I certainly appreciate it.

Now I know thanks to your experience with Flow meter I'll be looking for the same.

However, can you tell me the difference between a single stage flowmeter and a double stage anti-surge regulator please.

I won't buy anything till I hear from you.

Thanks again
GOD BLESS
Schooner
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 08-13-2007 12:55
Double stage and anti-surge units are likely intended for manifold and critical applications, and are definitely not needed for your stated purpose.
Parent - - By SCHOONER (*) Date 08-15-2007 22:13
Hi Northweldor

Thank you for your imput and I certainly will take you advice.
I did buy a single stage Victor Reg. Cost: $85.00

However, I do have a question please.

With this new regulator I find something not RIGHT can you straighten me out on this question.

I finish mig welding and I shut the valve on the gas tank 25%/75 mix.
Within lets say 8 to 10mins. and needle starts droping on the tank pressure gauage. WHY IS THAT ?

The mig gun pressure gauge (gas going to the gun) stay at the pressure I set (20psi)

What's with that?

Is there a LEAK somewhere in this new regulator ? ? ?

Thanks guys
GOD BLESS

Schooner
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-16-2007 03:52
Take soapy water and dab it all over the regulator to tank conection and around the tank valve steym. Look for bubbles. If You don't find any dab all around the regulator and flow guage, and over all the hose conections. If You still havn't found it pull the hose off the output side of the gas selenoid, and wipe a soap bubble over the end of the fitting, and see if it grows. The pressure drop is pretty common, most ignore it unless it is pretty bad [figuring that You have fixed anything You can]. Turn the tank valve off when You are not welding for any length of time.
Parent - By SCHOONER (*) Date 08-16-2007 04:40
Hi DaveBoyer

I decided to buy a Victory Regulator. Its a quailty reg, all brass.
However, I do thank you for your imput also.

I have no more problems with loosing all the gas due to a cheap regulator that came that the MillerMatic135. I have no problems with my weldor. MillerMatic135 for me is a great machine.

Thanks again DaveBoyer
GOD BLESS

Schooner
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 08-17-2007 03:44
Some regulators are self bleeding, meaning that when the bottle is shut off the gas will bleed out of the regulator so as to relief the pressure on the bordon tubes etc, this is done so that the reg will remain accurate. Normally this would bleed off both sides of a two stage reg but this may not be neccesary on a flow meter????
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-17-2007 03:51
How does the regulator know You shut the tank off?
Parent - By SCHOONER (*) Date 08-17-2007 04:10
Hey Guy

Thanks for straightening out of the workings of my regulator.

I appreciate your imput.

GOD BLESS

Schooner
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / What the best Argon Co2 Regulator moderate price to buy?