Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / stick welding ss thin wall
- - By brownie420 Date 08-11-2007 22:38
I work in a paper mill and most of the pipe is thin wall ss pipe, 304 usually sch 10.  I have been around the mill and ss pipe for about 10 years now and have lost the ability to get eutectic rod 308L16.  Need to find a new rod that has similar welding properties.  Would like to get hands on something that runs downhill in all vertical positions.  Lot of welds are also done with some water in pipe, causing perocity.  The Eutectic brand seemed to freeze faster and adhere better than any brands I can find in stock anywhere around the Phila. area.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom Browne
Steamfitters L.U. 420
Philadelphia, Pa
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 08-11-2007 23:32
Hello Tom, there is a gentleman here on the forum by the name of Chuck Meadows, he is with Avesta welding, he could very likely connect you with a source for some great downhand SS rod. Give him a shout. Regards, aevald
Parent - By texas55 (*) Date 08-12-2007 02:56
lincoln sells a great downhill rod Red Baron V
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 08-16-2007 15:40
Avesta also makes a great downhill electrode designed specifically for thin walled applications  normally found in paper mills. For the downhill application, I think that 1/8" is the largest electrode we make, though.

Chuck 
Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 08-19-2007 23:10
Chuck,

It's good to see your name back on the forum. The last I saw of you was a note that you were seriously ill. Avesta 308-17 is my favorite.

Dennis
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / stick welding ss thin wall