Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / One to many......,
- - By makeithot (***) Date 08-12-2007 00:31
Got up this morning, put on my game face and went off to work. Played with my new wire feeder all day couldn't get it to weld for S@#$. Called in all the tech support I could muster, bad mouthed the salesmen. Then realised that I had forgotten to change the polarity switch ( which I don't see most off the time because of how the welder is mounted in the truck) I then thought to myself that I could have saved myself alot of grieve if ther was one less switch on the truck.Thats just what happens when a guy breaks down and works on Saturday. Should'd went fishing.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-12-2007 04:32
Those simple things can get Ya. I vaporized the tungsten on My tig torch TWICE before I realized I moved the range selector instead of the polarity selector. Too much junk piled in front of the machine...
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 08-12-2007 06:14
Don't feel bad, I once heard that a ridiculously large number of appliance service calls are resolved by pluging the appliance in.
Bill
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 08-13-2007 12:59
How about the old shop prank of changing the "Newbie's" feed rolls from .035 to .045

I own and run the shop, yet this past weekend, one of the guys felt they could get me fired up by doing this trick....and I took it hook, line and, sinker.

Changed tip, no help..Changed liner, still no help...Changed wire, and yep still no help.
So, after an hour and a half I changed the feed rolls.
Boy did those guys think that was funny.....

Sometimes you can't see the forest.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 08-13-2007 16:43
What about the old wow someone sharpened a bunch of tungstens for me NiCE!!  So ya put one in and hit the remote and wamo you got yourself a plugged collet body now.  Turns out that nice somebody sharpened a bunch of stainless rods for ya. ;-)
Parent - - By TozziWelding (**) Date 08-13-2007 17:02
I couldnt for the life of me figure out why my Trailblazer had a weak arc, I checked all the connections, messed with the current knob, re ground where the ground clamo was. Turned out i for got to switch the machine from remote to local after I unhooked the TIG box the day before. STUPID STUPID STUPID!
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 08-28-2007 18:45
MDG:

There's a name for guys like that.  They're called...unemployed.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-28-2007 19:18
Scott, speaking of unemployed...
Sorta like when we found out that the 2nd shift guys had an initiation when they moved from 2nd to 1st shift. The guy with the most seniority gets to move to 1st shift when an opening becomes available on 1st. The last night of working 2nd shift the guy gets a 5 gallon bucket of water poured over his head while he has his shield down and welding......ughh!!!!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-29-2007 00:00 Edited 08-29-2007 07:49
That just aint right!!! ;) ;) ;)

One time we tied up a pipefitter around a missile tube just before lunchbreak because he was a real grinch to "bang hangers" with so, one day we all got together and tied him up!!! ;)

When the "White hat's" (Supervisors, General Foreman & Ship Super) came around the missile tube where he was tied to, I heard that it was the first time he was speechless!!! Why??? because Rear Admiral Hyman Rickover was amongst the "white hat's" and asked why he was tied up to the missile tube??? the pipefitter replied: "I was tied up to this tube because, some people in here are jealous of me!!" Well, that jsut did'nt sit right with the Admiral to put it mildly so, the Admiral shouted back: "This is'nt a playground where pranks can be tolerated freely as this one!!! Son!!! We build Submarines here!!!" They walked away shaking their heads and probably chuckling under their breaths :)

We caught up with Bill after lunch and as we were untying him from the missile tube, he started yelling: "I'm going to report you guys as the ones who tied me up !!!!" we left him there until the end of the night and occasionally he would yell: Let me go!!! Untie me you bastards!!!" By the time we had to go punch out, he changed his tune. ;) Those were the days!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-29-2007 01:19
Hello Henry, your post got me to chuckling. In sort of a similar fashion I was working at a fab shop where we had a young buck come in who was a nephew of the shop foreman. He thought that this should cut him slack to do as he pleased. Everyone put up with him for quite some time, that is until we had some open top tanks that were fabricated and needed to be tested for leaks. Once these were filled with water, a bunch of the fellas grabbed onto him and gave him a swimming lesson in one of those tanks. Suprisingly enough there weren't any repercussions from it and he changed his tune, I really feel that his relative knew that he had it coming. Great post Henry. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-29-2007 06:16
A long time ago in a pill shop far far away.....

2nd day "when you get done with that go cut copes on that pipe on the horses for us...its all laid out already"   I amble over with a torch cart and proceed to getr done...(never noticing how many where watching me)  ....got it red, hit the oxy and foooowooomp.....I did not load my drawers thank goodness but I did fall flat on my butt with I am sure a very stupid deer in headlights  look on my face.   Newspaper stuffed in each end of the pipe and a bit of acetylene loaded inside it.   I KNOW I got grey hairs from that as well as a couple steps closer to a heart attack.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-29-2007 11:34
Back during my time in the Navy.....  In the days when our servicemen were busy crossing Quadaffy's "line of death"

I was an E2 and the junior man in the AIMD (intermediate level repair) weld shop at a strike fighter base. The senior welders (everybody but me) liked to prepare me for my "hammer qual".  They would take a beater... really big hammer, and sneek up on me when I was Tig welding and slam that hammer down on the workbench.  One was not "hammer qualled" until the hammer came down and the arc remained unbroken.

These were FA/18 afterburner parts mind you.

Yeah..  Those were the days...   I never got to tie anybody up   :(
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 08-30-2007 02:29
Years back work in a shop that did fuel tank repiars, Also with tig wait for the newbie to start welding on his first one of those and giver a smack with the hammer. Run like hell after that though, As the effect of the joke is somewhat more effective when your standing over a fuel tank.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-30-2007 06:30 Edited 08-30-2007 07:05
Gerald (Pipewelder1999) can attest to this...

You're on your back almost up side down, contorted so that you feel like you're plastic man, GTA welding a repair on a NiCu or stainless pipe with a mirror and all of a sudden after you finish, someone decides to unwittingly unplug your extension cord for your light!!! Mind you this is approximately 600ft below the surface in the engine room, full power, with all of the machinery working around you, and in order to eventually crawl into this location, it takes at least 45 minutes before one is ready to perform the repair!!! I had to wait another hour before someone came by close enough to hear me so they could trace the extension cord and replug it so I could eventually crawl out of there!!! Man did I hate being stuck like that!!! :(

The same type of crap used to happen @ EB or, when the power on the boat went out when we would be down in the missile gas, Normal & Auxillary Fuel oil tanks but, at least we were'nt in the water, and around all of that live machinery! ;)

Yeah, sometimes if a welder apprentice was welding something like deck plate, we would look to see if his "crack" was showing:) :) :) we would then slowly stick some either 1/8" E-8018 or E-11018 in their cracks very slowly and sometimes they would have two or more sticking out for everyone to see before they realized that they had something sticking out of their "Cracks"!!!! That was just too funny, and I wish we were allowed to have camera's inside the yard so we could've taken pic's of those pranks!!! Those pics' would've definitely been priceless!!! :) :) :)

We never did play with fire though!!! That was an excuse to go to blows if somebody attempted anything like that and for the most part, everyone respected that except when every once in a while someone from another boat would come aboard to make a name for themselves... We put an end to that RIGHT-QUICK!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-29-2007 13:45
Tommy,
That was another little trick we had to crack down on...I know we Safety guys take al the fun out of working with pranksters....anyway, just before 10 minute break, the person playing the joke would crack the gas open on the torch just a little and lay it over in a 55gallon trash can(drum) and after break they would cut the torch off. Several minutes later as folks nearby are grinding and working hard and minding their own business, the gas in the trash barrel sets off a loud thunderous BOOM which shakes the dust out of the rafters and crane rails.

.....at other times those zip-lock sandwhich bags are filled with gas and laid up inside some TS steel that a nearby co-worker is getting ready to burn to length...
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-30-2007 05:38
LOL    Lawerence I still chew guys out just for walking in and talking loud when I am using .020 wire for filler on somthing.  I hardly ever use gloves.   

I never pulled that one on anyone else John...but I have been known to load up mig gun nozzels with those screaming chaser fireworks.  Thats pretty effective on a guy starting work in the morning with a hangover LOL!!!  

My latest prank was on a Lady sheetmetal worker at my job.....She lightly sprayed water on a guy while he was running test coupons....SO
He is about 55 and had heart surgery once....I convinced him to lay his lead in the floor, helmet, dump his chair over and sprawl out on the ground.  I told everyone in the shop about what was going down except her....had a guy go runnning thru the shop yelling for the lead " so-n- so in down he is hurt"  everyone of course comes running over ....she has a very worried look on her face and bends over him.....then he jerks out and grabs her leg.....I wish I had a picture cause it was fabulous!!!!
Parent - By spiedan (*) Date 08-30-2007 16:29
25 (+/-) years ago we had a beam column (laying down on the horses) in the shop with two stiffeners & a cover plate tacked on - formed a nice little box to "accidentally" fill with acetylene, which someone did at break time.  The welder started work on the cover plate after break and KABOOM!!!!!!!!! - the (100#) cover plate hit the ceiling, cleaned the dust off the rafters, broke a couple windows and brought all the white hats out of the office on a dead run!  Thank heaven, no one was hurt (or killed!), but it sure woke the shop up!

Dan
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-30-2007 18:29
Better be careful grabbing the the feminine persuasion anywhere. It can get you in muchos' trouble.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-31-2007 06:03
N0 worries there Gerald she is definitely one of the "guys"  actually one of my favorite people in the work place  at least she does her work and does it right and don't sit there and whine about it like most do.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 08-31-2007 13:04
Hot slag in my nostril yesterday. Hollered and danced around like a Cherokee around a campfire. I thought I was gonna die.

Big blister in my shnoz today......
Parent - By johnnyh (***) Date 08-31-2007 13:06
ouch!
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / One to many......,