Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASNT III Basic Exam
- - By 1316 (**) Date 08-12-2007 00:44
[deleted]
Parent - - By NDTIII (***) Date 08-12-2007 03:31
I highly recommend you get the Level III Basoc Study Guide.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-12-2007 19:29
I has been a while since I took the ASNT Basic examination, but it seems to me they covered three areas; manufacturing processes,  SNT-TC-1A and CP-189 (SNT-TC-1A being the majority of the questions on certification and qualification), and they also asked basic questions on several common NDT methods.

I used ASNT's study guide and read the NDT handbooks that cover the basics of the major NDT mehods . A good book on manufacturing processes would be a wise investment of your time and money. Study the manufacturing or smelting of metals, basic operations of machining, forging, and casting. You need to be familiar with the discontinuities and defects inherent to the particular manufacturing process and the best NDT method for detecting the discontinuities.

Good luck.

Al
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 08-13-2007 03:30
There used to be a hardcover book that went along with the Study Guide but I can't remember the name of  it and I don't see it on ASNT's website.
Parent - - By BamaDave (**) Date 08-13-2007 05:49
In addition to the Basic level III study I would suggest acquiring and reading all of the General Dynamics NDE study guides.  I believe understanding the differences between SNT-TC-1A and CP-189 are of primary concern and becoming familiar was fairly straight forward.  All I did we read them both several times. 

I remember a certain question specifically about the "modules of elasticity for copper" as well.  The reason I remember this is because of the real elaborate question about a certain diameter copper wire being suspended from a certain distance under a defined load and in the end they were looking for was the specific value for copper.

Keep in mind it has been many years since I took the examination and the best I remember is the one question I just mentioned and the study manuals that I read.  Regardless, it seamed to work for me.

Good luck!

David
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-13-2007 12:02
Hello Dave, et al;

I don't remember any hardcovered book(s) other than the ASNT NDT Handbooks by Bob McMaster.

Likewise, I don't remember any problems that were that involved in "strength of materials" where you might be asked to calculate the elongation of a material under a load condition. They might ask a question about the definition of the "modulus of elasticity" and what significance it had. However, the questions asked on the exmination have evolved over the years as has everything else.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ndeguy (*) Date 08-27-2007 13:46
The hardcover book is "Materials and Processes for NDT Technology", ISBN: 0-931403-06-5, and dealt with items like steel manufacture and properties, secondary processing, mechanicla testing, heat treaments, surface treatments. The answers to quite a few questions in the Basic exam would be in that book - but not exclusively, that is any other manufacturing processes book should have similar information.

I hope this helps.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-28-2007 01:30
You'll have questions on all 11 methods ASNT offers. You'll also have many questions on tc1a and cp189. As I recall there are also general industry questions such as on bessemer forges. First time I took the basic I passed, and I attribute that to having my hands on the EPRI Basic guide. There is a world of difference between ASNT and EPRI when it comes to that.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-28-2007 01:31
One other note, if your taking the UT and PT, I strongly advice you bone up on conversions, speed of working the calcs, and immersion testing for UT, and for PT pay more attention to definitions.
Parent - - By 1316 (**) Date 09-03-2007 15:53
[deleted]
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-03-2007 18:47
Units of measure and conversions are a sticking point.
As an example question:
In immersion testing, a 10mhz transducer traveling at 5cm per second and has a PRF of 500. There is an aluminum 1/2" thick block that is 6"x6" with a flaw that is 23mm long by 13mm wide parallel to the surface of the block and 3mm down. Water path to plate is 6". How many times will the ultrasonic wave impinge upon the flaw before passing over it.
(water velocity, aluminum velocity, and all relevant calcs given to you, except that the calcs are only in one format, many of the questions require working the formula backwards, or some other variant, so remember to not only study the calcs, but how to work them every which way they can be worked)
Calculate that out and you will have an idea of what kind of questions you are facing in this regards, and remember you only have exactly 1.777 minutes to answer each question.

It will also go into definitions and the various aspects of an ultrasonic system.
Parent - - By g32141 (**) Date 09-03-2007 21:40 Edited 09-03-2007 22:04
That's a tricky one isn't it? You can eliminate every number out in the question. You don't have to calculate anything.

The logical answer would be that now matter what you threw into the the mix in regards as Mhz, cm, mm  or inches or the distances to the flaw, if you understood the word impinge the answer would be 1.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=impinge

It would impinge on it once before passing over it. If ever.

A 10 Mhz transducer wouldn't make a second trip back through to the flaw to pass over it.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-04-2007 02:06 Edited 09-04-2007 02:11
hmm consider the question. vel in water is 1480 m/s vel is aluminum is 6400 m/s (as listed in the properties booklet you'll get to take the test with) pulse rep frequency is 500 per second or 1 every 2 u/s.  Time of flight is a little over 103 u/s down combined water and aluminum time of flight. the word impinge "1 : to strike or dash especially with a sharp collision <I heard the rain impinge upon the earth -- James Joyce>"
in simpler terms it hits the target flaw. As you pointed out it, was impinge only, doesn't matter if it's received back or not for the question. travel speed for the carriage is 5cm second, or .05mm per micro second. so it will take 460 u/s to cross over the flaw. I'll give you this much, the answer "1" wasn't on the list of answers, nor was "0".

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By g32141 (**) Date 09-04-2007 03:01 Edited 09-04-2007 03:27
Now you have changed the criteria it seems.

Impinge also means so smash into something with force in order go through it or to regroup again to hit it another time in the hopes of going around it.

So the wave crosses over the flaw in the 13mm side of it? Is this where your measurements are coming from?

The length is too long in the 23mm direction.

Since 1 and zero are not in the choices I would either choose none of the above or circle the "C" since I only had 1.77777 seconds to answer a question like this.

What are the questions choices? And how would you plot it out?

It seems that the 10mhz probe is working at 5 in your posts.

I still stick to my guns that you don't need to do a single calculation in regards to this question. If you do you are wasting lots of time and will just mess your head up if you are trying to take the exam.

You are not expected to start do math just to retrace your footsteps to see where they go. The 13 mm wide defect could be round or square. Now what? Now you could possibly have longitudinal waves coming back faster than your transverse waves.

Since I have no Level III exam test question book I would like to see what the multiple choices are.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-04-2007 16:06
First thing I am going to say is, I strongly suggest some more study. You can consider the flaw to be a lamination. 23mm x 13mm and 3mm deep, remember I said it was parallel to the surface. Transverse waves never come into the picture, only longitudinal waves will travel in water. I fail to see where you got the 5mhz comment. Velocity is independent of frequency. There is a reason the wavelength formula is wavelength = velocity/frequency. For a 10mhz transducer in water that's a small wavelength. Attenuation is another matter, velocity-frequency and associated wavelength plays a large roll in that. Your system would have to be broken not to pick up a planar flaw parallel to the part surface in the dimensions listed.

Quote "Now you could possibly have longitudinal waves coming back faster than your transverse waves." At no time will a transverse wave outrun a longitudinal for equal distance and materials. That is assuming a transverse wave can even propagate in the material.

I've tried to help you here, and it seams you've taken exception to it. Therefore after this I'll let it die. It's not my money being paid on the test, But I do very strongly advise you to reconsider and look the matter up for yourself.
Heres a couple of good sites to get you started, but if you already have all the answers, why did you ask your initial question?
http://www.kettering.edu/~drussell/Demos.html
http://www.ndt.net/ndtaz/ndtaz.php

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By g32141 (**) Date 09-04-2007 19:22 Edited 09-04-2007 21:45
I understand what you are saying.

You can also introduce shearwaves into a material using water as your wedge. You won't pick up a lamination too quickly with shearwaves though.

You are right about the 5 Mhz thing. I was replying from memory without having your post in front of me to read.

What you quoted me was right. Take a look at it again. You are right, a T-wave will never outrun an L-wave. I agree. That is what I said in what you quoted me.

A tranverse wave can be introduced into a material or several materials using immersion testing. The only limitation you have is the punching power of the transducer and the attenuation of the materials.

I haven't taken exception to anything and by no means do I have all the answers.

The system I work with should pick up a lamination if the TOFD probes run over it as would all others. I have seen a lamination that was picked up by AUT.

I would not want to be the guy that had written LAM CHECK OK on the pipe and then a lamination pops up.

You have valid points as do I.

The reason I asked you originally is because I was curious. We are not here to butt heads but to help each other out.

If and when I take this exam which I probably will on my own dime I will keep on the lookout for this question.
Parent - - By 1316 (**) Date 09-07-2007 21:33
[deleted]
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 09-10-2007 15:22
It was about four weeks for me.

For an additional cost, you can take the (computor based) ASNT level III examinations at Hellier in California and Conneticut and get your results emmediately.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASNT III Basic Exam