Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / welding k55 bin box t0 x52 pipe
- - By toofan Date 08-13-2007 01:52 Edited 08-13-2007 02:19
Hi all,

well, firstly could you please tell me wether what does x52 exactly mean? \

2ndly, what method would you reccomend for welding k55 bin box to x52 pipe which will be used to dig oil?

Thanks very much for your time and assistance.

Regards
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-16-2007 14:02
I believe the X52 is the type of line pipe you are using. You can get more information from API 5L Specification for Line Pipe. As for the k55, your guess is better than mine. If I had to guess and I guess that's what I'm  doing, I would go for a minimum yield of 55,000 psi plate material because that closely matches the pipe material you listed.

The chemistry of the X52 can vary depending on whether it was ordered to PSL1, PSL2 quality levels. Likewise, whether it is welded or seamless pipe will influence the acceptable ranges of chemistry.

For X52 line pipe, the minimum yield strength is 52 ksi and the minimum ultimate tensile strengh is 66,000 to 110,000 psi maximum.

Since you are welding for applications involving the oil industry, you should refer to API 1104 and and API Recommended Practice 582  for further information. Again, API 5L will give you the information you need on the pipe material. The plate could be almost anything. Ask your employer or client for better information about what the material specification is for the plate material. Then and only then can you discuss the plate intellegently. 

I would not use anything less than E7018 low hydrogen electrodes that have been properly stored in a heated electrode oven. Do not use a gas fired cooking range for storing welding rod. Bear in mind that certain asumptions have been made based on the limited information you provided. The recommendations could be very wrong without complete and accurate information on the piping and plate materials. 

Good luck. Al
Parent - - By b777300 Date 10-20-2007 18:09
Does not K55 refer to the OCTG grade K55 according to API Spec 5CT (ISO 11960)? What is bin box? Is that perhaps "pin - box". Then it is indeed API Spec 5CT. Pin and Box are the two "sides" of the OCTG couplings.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-20-2007 18:34
I have no idea. TooFan never came back with more information.

Al
Parent - - By b777300 Date 10-21-2007 10:41
Al: I have a question to welding these two materials together. My problem seems to be exactly the same TooFan had when he posted, but mine now is really urgent. I have just posted the question in the "technical" forum. If you could help me in 1) indicating whether welding the two materials together is feasible, 2) indicating whether it has been done before and eventually 3) getting the outlines of a welding spec together, I would really appreciate it. If you would require any further info in helping me, I can provide it.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-21-2007 15:27 Edited 10-21-2007 15:30
I don't have access to the material composition of k55, nor am I familiar with bin box or pin box. So, you are going to have to feed me with some more information before I can offer any help.

The more information you can provide, the better information and suggestions we can offer you. Be careful with the use of acronyms. They are usually industry specific, as is the case with the term "dry pass". Those of us that don't work in your industry may not be familiar with them. Acronyms are great when you want to confine your questions and replys to only those individuals familiar with them.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / welding k55 bin box t0 x52 pipe