Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Continuous backing for HSS butt splice
- - By blanier (*) Date 08-14-2007 11:20
D1.1 says "backing shall be made continuous for the full length of the weld". If a company, or contractor, design engineer informs Production and Quality that the radii can be discounted as part of the 'full length of weld", is it a conflict with the Code??? If consensus is that it is not a conflict, then is it critical that the radii area be beveled as the four flats to allow the welder a run-off area?? or can the radii be something less, perhaps only PJP???
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 08-14-2007 14:45
If this helps, here is a recent thread where this was discussed at length.  http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?pid=56962;hl=UT%20corner%20%20radius%20tube#pid56962
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 08-14-2007 16:41
To try and answer the first part of your question, with regards to a company or a contractor, I'd say that it is in conflict with the code unless they are the authority having jurisdiction.  With the engineer, I'd say that it is not in conflict with the code for two reasons.  1.1 indicates that when the code is required by contract, conformance to all provisions of the code are required, except for those that the engineer modifies or exempts. 1.4.1 indicates that the engineer may add to, delete from, or otherwise modify code requirements to meet the particular requirements of a specific structure.  
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 08-14-2007 18:33
I say the tube must be beveled all the way around. (IMO) If the tube is not beveled completely around you would have what I consider a weld damn and weld damns are not allowed. Depending on the thickness of tube and bevel degrees that weld damn could be rather obvious or hardly noticeable but I still say it is there.
Parent - - By bkoz (*) Date 08-16-2007 17:22
Wow!
The thread scared me. How do the UT Techs write their reports if they don't examine the corners! Is that one of the "realities" UT techs understand but designers don't? If they blink, that's very scary. Not my job, however.

This is my job, however.

Yes, the backing must be continuous all around the joint. If the weld symbol is CJP all around, that means all around even where it's tough in the corners. The easiest way to achieve this is to cut a slug out of Pl. 1" to fit the inside of the tube. Watch your tolerances so you don't get more than a 1/16" gap at any location along the joint. One can use a hand torch to cut the middle out of the slug for really large tubes to reduce the handling weight. Just leave enough metal to help the UT tech. This solution is very common in Utah, and I think the rest of earthquake country because a lot of Utah fabricators ship to Las Vegas and CA.

You can't bend or weld (with full pen weld) a flat bar with sufficient accuracy to maintain 1/16" max gap at the "faying" surface between the tube corners and the back-up bar. We've wasted hours trying to do this over the years.

New testing work has been done concerning the radius'd corners of tubes and it isn't pretty. The steel work hardens there and does not have the ductility of the rest of the tube. Some designers now specify no weld around the corners or CJP along the flats only with a "Typ" symbol and no weld all around symbol. This is good practice nowadays even if it is poor use of a weld symbol. If the designer doesn't want the corners welded, don't weld them! Do what the designer tells you. It might be worth a Request for Information for clarification.

I agree with the concern about weld dams and I would bevel all around, too, even if the corners aren't welded.

We should discuss how to finish the weld ends of these new "flats only" welds. I haven't run into it yet. Any thoughts?

Bkoz
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-02-2007 09:23 Edited 09-02-2007 09:35
  In the past i would make 1 bend(for 2 sides) on 2 pieces bar, take the ID of the tube minus bar thickness for the lengths of each leg, weld them corner to corner, grind the inside to the weld and weld a fillet inside,then grind the radius needed,on the bent corner i would butter up the backup bar with low hydrogen on the outside of the corner then grind it to suit, never had a complaint!
  As for welding only the flats, IMO thats the best way if water is not an issue or cosmetics allow it. that way if a weld cracks,it doesnt crack all the way around!  I've had jobs where welding in the K region of a beam and wrapping the flanges was prohibited on columns for that reason!

Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 08-16-2007 20:40
Pardon my ignorance.  What are you considering a weld damn?

Brian
Parent - - By bkoz (*) Date 08-17-2007 16:43
This term really came to life during the examination Northridge failures of moment connections.

When erecting and welding the beam-to-column connections often a welder will be welding above where others are working. It is difficult to erect shield to prevent molten metal from spilling on those below. In the old days, we didn't use run-off tabs like we do today. Welders will tack a "dam" to the end of the flange-to-column joint to keep the metal from running out and to keep the layers uniform in thickness.

Here's the rub. A few welders at some Northridge sites used the dams like crucibles so they could fill and fiill and fill the joint without deslagging the welds. The dams enabled them to puddle into the dam and weave back out again across the previous, mushy layer of weld. The slag will float to the top of any thickness of weld so long as the metal is at or near molten heat. The trick of not slagging welds came out of the pipe welding trade, but they weld over layers rather than puddling crucible-style. This is a clear violation of the depth-to-width ratios and the maximum single pass thickness, but we know more now than we did then.

We recognize that weld dams are a safety feature, so now welders can tack the dams to the outside of the run-off tabs. That places the dam about 1-1/2" outside of the actual joint. This is permitted by AISC and AWS D1.8. We still need to watch for depth of fill and max. weld layer violations however.

You can visualize how the unbeveled corner of a rec. tube would act as a dam plus have an inherrent crack at the bottom of what should be a CP joint.

Bkoz
Parent - - By bmaas1 (***) Date 08-17-2007 17:39
Thank you.

Brian
Parent - By blanier (*) Date 09-10-2007 12:42
Not a welding question, but is this writer Brian Maas who used to work for Fluor in Charlotte, NC??

Bruce Lanier
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Continuous backing for HSS butt splice