Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS Procedures!
- - By BPI1 (*) Date 08-14-2007 15:22
Alright, I've read both 1.1 and 1.6 in it's entirety, and I'm far more confused now than when I started.  I have some WPS from the company that was performing the welds before I came along.  One of the three required a PQR, the other two were prequalified joints.  I have no way to test the first weld, so I can't write a PQR for it.  Can I use their's as the PQR and write my own WPS from it?

Hope you guys are staying hydrated, the heat is gonna be back by the end of the week, stay stafe.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 08-14-2007 16:54
I have vendors do all the testing on my PQRs.  First RT, if it passes then off to the bend house. 
Parent - - By BPI1 (*) Date 08-15-2007 13:29
The PQR passed, and they did both a tensile & guided bend.  Since it was done by another company, can I use it, or will I have to do the test myself for my company?
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 08-16-2007 12:46
So to understand, some company "A" did the PQR work, but you work for company "B"? 

Is company "A" and "B" related?
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 08-16-2007 15:22
Ya know i was wondering the same thing the other day when i took my coupons to the lap for testing.  I thought to myself that there has to be a company somewhere in the nation that has welded the same 2 pieces of plate together, used the same wire and all the other goodies.  So why couldn't i buy their PQR off them and save some money.  First thought was i guess it would have some other copanies name on it.  So then why can't you call up the labs and see if anyone has qualified a WPS that is the same as yours and buy it off of the lab for cheaper then it would cost for RT, bends and tensiles?  I realize that company A might have slightly different parameters than company B, but what if company B would agree to change to company A's parameters because they would work also? 
Parent - By rickc (**) Date 08-16-2007 16:00
I agree. You'd think that someone out there could make a good deal of money writing and testing procedures, ensuring their compliance to code and distributing them. Companies would buy the WPS, PQR and supporting test results / documents; qualify their welders and know that they're making quality welds that follow the code. I don't know why AWS / ASME have chosen to prevent this but they have (see section 4.1.1.1 in AWS D1.1:2006 and 4.1.2 in AWS D1.6:2007).
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-16-2007 16:25
Kix; Rickc

AWS already does this.  They have "Standard Welding Procedures" available for purchase.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 08-16-2007 17:15 Edited 08-16-2007 17:18
Joseph,
     I know about the prequalified PQR's, but a lot of things that are done in industry now throw out the prequalified status.  For instense i'm qualifying 2 pieces of A572 gr50 witch i could use a prequalified WPS for, but we're Mig welding it using short arc with an ER80S-D2 filler.  In this case the filler and the short arc throw it out of prequalified status.  I know somewhere out there someone else has qualified this combo or a groupII steel with these combo's.  So If company A down the road qualified this procedure last week using test lab A how come company B can't call test lab A and get a PQR with company B's name on it?  Or could they, but it might end up being to big of hassle?
      So would one have to call AWS and ask if they have a PQR for this particular combo and if they did we could buy it?
Parent - By ross (***) Date 08-16-2007 17:38
AWS doesn't have a standard procedure spec for that combo.

I wonder if it's possible in theory to have an online searchable bank of company-qualified procedures with their supporting PQRs. Would people voluntarily post their procedures, and would the codes allow others to use them? Also, would people be too concerned about having some potential liability if they shared their WPSs?

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-16-2007 18:08
Kix

I would not recommend a SWPS or anyone elses WPS for Short circuiting Transfer.  As a process the ability put in sound weld metal from one welder to another, and one welding machine to another is non-existent.  I think you should qualify your own WPQR.  That way, if it fails you get to learn what you are doing wrong.  This will not be available to you if you use someone elses WPRQ and WPS.
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 08-16-2007 17:26
Actually, I haven't had an opportunity to review a SWPS. My hope would be that is is everything you need for a WPS qualified by testing and that we'd only need to qualify our welders to the procedure if we were to purchase one. However, the description doesn't state that test results are included suggesting SWPS are either prequalified procedures or that they are just written WPS' and that we still need to create the coupon and run all of our tests that we'd have to do anyway to qualify the weld by testing (CVN, etcetera). I haven't been curious enough to spend a couple of hundred dollars just to see what the package includes but, since you brought it up - I am curious to know exactly what an SWPS is.

https://www.awspubs.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=b2.1&osCsid=1caae7e8e177f94e0b87929adefe3348&x=0&y=0
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 08-16-2007 17:47
With the AWS SWPS's, the testing has been done (multiple PQRs supporting each one) so you don't have to qualify the procedure or do any testing (except the welders, of course) as long as you adhere to the procedure variables.
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 08-16-2007 18:35 Edited 08-16-2007 18:37
Do they include the actual mat'l certs, CVN results, etc. or are they only reported on the PQR(s)? Are the CVN locations per Table 4.14 (P.151) in D1.1:2006 i.e. Weld, FL+1mm and FL+5mm?
-Intrigued
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 08-16-2007 19:43
Test results are only on the PQRs, I am sure, which are not provided with the SWPSs, just referenced by them, which is sufficient for the SWPSs to be valid.
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 08-16-2007 21:04
Thanks Ross.
I dunno if our customers will go for that or not but, I may have to consider grabbing one of those experimentally.
Parent - By ross (***) Date 08-16-2007 21:09
FYI, if it helps your customer decide, the AWS SWPSs can be used in work covered by D1.1 with the engineer's approval, and most are adopted by ASME. Most of the pipe ones are adopted by the National Board Inspection Code.
Parent - - By bozaktwo1 (***) Date 08-16-2007 17:36
Just $.02 from prolly the most inexperienced guy here...

I am writing up and qualifying all of my WPS; every single one.  After long discussions with my boss (President), we pretty much came to the conclusion that although most of our procedures are prequalified, the experience and confidence gained (both in our welders and equipment) will more than pay for itself.  It gives us a huge data cache to draw on should anyone ever question where did our information come from, and a baseline to which we can make changes for new procedures in the future.  I've learned a lot since beginning this adventure, as have my welders.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-17-2007 14:14
Bozaktwo

This is your opportunity to get procedures qualified with no preheat for tack welds and even no preheat for production welds. 

I agree with your rationale entirely.  Plus, you then have WPSs that most inspectors and engineers will not argue with.  You will also see that the travel speed limitations in the Code are not realistic.

However, I urge you to remember that your Charpy Impact values will not be valid unless each pass is deposited at the same speed.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-17-2007 14:56
As a welder it didn't make sense to require every contractor to qualify welding procedures for materials that are welded on a regular basis using the same tried and true welding processes and filler metals.

As an inspector, I have come to the conclusion that contractors should qualify their own procedures. I've seen every boneheaded mistake possible made over and over again because the contractor does not appreciate the complexity of welding. Simple things like proper cleaning, proper groove design, proper storage of electrodes, and the list go on. It is amazing how fast they learn when they start spending time and money on the qualification exercise. The learning curve is impressive after they fail once or twice. In the beginning, they have all the answer and rarely do they ask questions or listen to advice if it is offered. After spending a few thousand dollars on failed qualification attempts their ears grow to gigantic proportions and they start paying close attention to the little details they were warned about at the beginning of the exercise.

Most of the welds that get rejected are due to very basic causes that are easily remedied or would not have occurred if the contractor maintained rudimentary welding discipline.

We all learn by doing. There is no better teacher than pain. The pain can be physical, mental, or in the case of contractors; financial, the end result is that we learn quicker when there is pain involved. We are less likely to repeat the same mistake if we learned the lesson by active involvement.

Unfortunately, most people do not appreciate the complexities of welding by simply reading a book or reading a WPS. They assume that a little surface oxide, or the simple substitution of one base metal for another, let's say A53 substituted for A106 for an elevated temperature application as an example, is not going to have any repercussions. Another example listed in another thread; A105 flange materials substituted for SA105 flanges for a pressure vessel application. Why keep low hydrogen electrodes in an oven that is kept at the proper temperature all the time? We save money by turning the oven off over the weekends. Why keep the spool of aluminum filler metal covered? How dirty can shop air be? I could list examples of silly mistakes and assumptions manufacturers make for the next several days.

Large corporations regularly use mock-ups of new products to work out manufacturing issues. The qualification of the welding procedure is nothing more that a form of a mock-up of the required weld. Why is it so difficult for some people in management to understand the value in producing mock-ups of the welds they will be using in production? Is it the words we use? Would it be better to use the word "mock-up" instead of "qualification"? 

As an inspector, it is easy to become cynical because it's easy to remember the things that go wrong. But cynicism is what keeps us alert and looking for the mistakes that will cause problems further along in the manufacturing process. The qualification of the welding procedures is one step that can be used to eliminate a lot of future welding problems. The purchase and use of SWPs is one more missed opportunity for the manufacturer to develop in-house technical expertise. It's a red flag for the cynical inspector.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By BPI1 (*) Date 08-17-2007 14:47
that's right, company A did the work and I work for company B.  there are no differences in the procedures, as my supervisors wanted it done exactly the same way as company A.

the reason company B exists is because they have ownership over company B (manufacturing) and the engineering company.  this way they can save some money and make money in the long run.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPS Procedures!