Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Definition of chipping
- - By ctacker (****) Date 08-15-2007 01:56 Edited 08-15-2007 02:02
Greetings all,I've been a fitter/welder for over 25 yrs and now studying for cwi-d1.1, as long as i can remember,cutting & chipping meant cut and grind,but looking at aws A2.4 3.13.2 finishing method i see chipping,grinding etc. aws 3.0 doesnt have a definition for chipping,does anyone?
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 08-15-2007 13:27
I don't have a definition per se, but this discription would suggest what nI always relate to as chipping = notch with impact- ??????

http://www.corrosion.com/prep.asp#SSPC-SP-2
Hand Tool Cleaning - Removal of all rust scale, mill scale, loose rust and loose paint to the degree specified by hand wire brushing, hand sanding, hand scraping, hand chipping or other hand impact tools or by a combination of these methods. The substrate should have a faint metallic sheen and also be free of oil, grease, dust, soil, salts and other contaminants.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 08-15-2007 13:54
Cutting and chipping is different from chipping.  "Cut and chip" is, as you said, cutting and grinding flush (as opposed to "cut not chip", which is cutting and not grinding flush).
Chipping: A method of removing surface defects with a chisel, so that the defects will not be worked into the finished product.  Chipping is often used simply to remove metal, for example when preparing a joint for welding.  Chipping is also used to remove scale, rust, or other foreign materials from the workpiece.  It can also be used between beads to remove slag, and after welding to ensure a neatly finished weld.  Chipping is often used in combination with wire brushing to prepare surfaces.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-15-2007 19:12
Hello ctacker, I do believe that the effects of time have influenced the definition of "cutting and chipping", as with many things, having made advancements in the way that materials are processed, a lot of the manual hand intensive methods for metal cleaning and preparation have given way to newer methods employing the use of electric and pneumatically driven tools in many cases. I believe the other posters have given very accurate descriptions of what most of the codes deem as an appropriate definition of the term. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-16-2007 00:43
I may be mistaken, but I believe these are old shipbuilder's terms from the days of riveted construction. Much of the work was done using pneumatic tools. Chipping was performed using a  pneumatic riveting gun with essential what was a cold chisel.

With the advent of welding, the old ways were adopted to prepare weld grooves by chipping and unacceptable welds were removed the same way. Now we use air carbon arc gouging in place of chipping. Notice that many fabrication standards that use the terminology also require chipped grooves and welds to be ground. The grinding is necessary to remove the chisel marks.

Best regard - Al
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 08-19-2007 04:09
Thanks for all the great reply's ,guess im not that much of an oldtimer to have used a pneumatic riviting gun. maybe aws should add that to thier definitions!
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 08-19-2007 22:05
Some plate companies still use chipper guns. If you have ever ground the buckshot off plate, especially in the breakdowns, you can put the chisel point in the corner and, boom. The buckshot is gone. Also in removing slag on SAW or 7024. Slide the chisel along the weld, remove slag and buckshot all at once. Needle guns will remove more slag with one operator than three bullgangers with electric brushes. On verts in plate, the chipper and needle is lighter than a 8 inch grinder. But it is a tool one has to be shown how to use or it will work you to death.
BABRT's
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 08-20-2007 00:50
we do use a needle gun with a rounded chisel for toe peening,and it too can work an inexperianced arm to soreness
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Definition of chipping