Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Which Ironworker????
- - By welderseller (**) Date 08-16-2007 00:29
A buddy of mine and myself were talking about Ironworkers the other night. Any brands out there that are better than others? I have used Scotchman and Uni-Hydro. What are your thoughts?????
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-16-2007 03:38
I have a Metal Pro 4000, and I will say that it is a toy. It is fine for My home shop. In the plant there was an old mechanical Peddinghaus 44T. That was a fine machine, built like a machine tool. A guy on the blacksmithing site reasearched it thoroughly a few years ago, and He got the Geka. You can ask Him [Rese Nimi] at Forgemagic.com if You want His reasons.
Parent - By natecf (*) Date 08-16-2007 04:04
check out the line of ironworkers made by piranha at http://www.megamfg.com/  my shop has the PII-65, awsome machine,
not sure what you' like to know, but  it cost about 20k, 2 station, shears 1/4 x 24" to 3/4 x 8" a-36 plate, punches just about anything, has a notcher at the one end shears 5" angle,has an 18" bending jig  ,and there are many other available attachments. we upgraded from a P-50 about 5 years ago, but both machines are work horses.
If its more for home maybe a bantam ironworker would work for you           
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-16-2007 04:28
Hi "Weldseller!!!"

They are both well made machines but then again, it all depends the volume of work going through them that's real important in choosing the correct model to hold up from the long term abuse... The flexability in the various features & uses of which the machines are capable in offering the customer/end user...

Another issue that's very important is to find out which brand machines offer the best built in safety features...Then there's the issue of what types of voltages and KW are required to run the beasts... You do'nt want to have a brute that sucks all of the money out of your budget just to run it... Finally, what types of warranty/service plans are available from the manufacturer of the equipment by the network of their regional service centers.
Just my two cents :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By BF (*) Date 08-16-2007 12:44
Hey Welderseller,

We have 4 Piranha Ironworkers in our shop. The biggest one is a Piranha II88 similar to the II65 mentioned by Nathan. We work them 8-10hrs a day 5-6 days a week, we love'em, they just don't give up. I forgot we even have one that was found in a salvage yard, we modified and did a little maintenance work done to it and use it regularly too. Couldn't ask for a better Ironworker than Piranha, but just my opinion.

Good Luck,
BF
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-16-2007 14:22 Edited 08-16-2007 16:02
Hello welderseller, I have read through many of the posts that have been entered here and obviously there are a lot of different ironworkers out there and they all have some nice features and some are better than others. At my shop currently we have a Mubea/Bender KBL 1/2" mechanical ironworker, in many ways probably similar to a Peddinghaus. I personally prefer the mechanical ironworkers over most of the hydraulic models for a few simple reasons. 1. Most of the hydraulic machines can only utilize one station at a time, so this limits the machines use to one operator. 2. Most hydraulic machines do not have the ability to spot the punch before making the hole, by that I mean that on many of the mechanical machines you can bring the punch down to the work with a handle to line it up on your punch mark before pulling the other handle that will engage the punching feature, in my estimation this helps greatly in many instances. 3. Somewhat referring back to 1., on the particular machine that I have you can have 3 operators on this machine as it has three seperate station areas that work independently of one another. 4. The power consumption of this ironwork is next to nothing for a comparable hydraulic model(the machine that I have is a 55 ton capacity and is driven by a 1 1/2 hp motor, a comparable hydraulic machine will generally probably have a 7 1/2 to 10 hp motor so considerably greater power is consumed). Along the lines of craftsmanship, these older mechanical machines, in my estimation, posess considerably greater degrees of craftsmanship and stoutness than the majority of newer ones. I realize that mechanical machines are probably hard if not impossible to find these days as new units and if you can they will likely be considerably more expensive than their hydraulic counterparts, but I wouldn't trade the old one that I've got for any of the newer hydraulic models. Just my personal thoughts and a few cents worth of information. Regards, aevald
     One other thing that came to mind to me in regards to many of the hydraulic ironworkers, the punching geometry is not square for the punch and die, meaning that on some of the hydraulic units the punch travels in an arc as it passes through it's motion instead of travelling in a square motion to the punch. This leads to issues for the life of the die sets and also the quality of the punched holes. It can also lead to issues with doing set-ups on the machine when you are trying to fixture multiple hole punching on base plates and other types of things.
Parent - By welderseller (**) Date 08-16-2007 22:37
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the info.
Parent - - By scratche Date 08-24-2007 14:07
The best machine I've used is a Peddinghaus hydraulic. 1) It's a two operator machine, but I think they have single operators too. 2) Mine also has a "jog" feature for spotting. 3)The one thing I really like are the safety features. ie: The notcher runs on the same cylinder as the shear, but if you select the shearing option and the notcher guard is open it wont cycle. 4)I think its Piranha that uses that arc motion to punch - one of the reasons I bought the Peddinghaus was its square operation. 5) I was asking around about new mechanicals at one point, but I was told that they don't meet OSHA standards which is why everyone started making hydraulics.
Hope this helps!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-25-2007 01:52
I set up serveral scotchmans in a production shop...they seemed to hold up well for the money spent....lot of 1/4 and 3/8 mild steel bar stock work.  My shop just purchased a Geka punch and it seems to be well made..not a lot of use yet tho.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 08-25-2007 02:43
My father in law has a Geka and likes it a lot. It out does the Parahna, big time.....
Parent - By boiler tube (*) Date 08-25-2007 22:00
I have an Edwards 50 ton jaws IV model that I bought new 17 years ago and it's never given me a lick of problems. Im going to up grade to the Edwards 75 ton model next month. My personal view is that Edwards give you the most bang for your bucks.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Which Ironworker????