Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / web stiffeners
- - By natecf (*) Date 08-16-2007 02:19
My old copy of D1.1(96) had very precise procedures for laying out welds on web stiffeners on I beams. My 2006 version does not seem to have the same info, looked through all of sections 2 and 5, the only thing I could come up with were tolerences for fit up etc. IF anyone has some insight on this, it sure would be helpful
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 08-16-2007 14:28
Nathan,

I think you're referring to intermittent fillet welds to stiffeners on beams and girders.  This was included in the 2000 code, but omitted starting with the 2002 edition.  With the 2002 edition, the code references "transverse" stiffener welds (which are ordinary web stiffeners) at 2.8.3.4, with specific weld locations.  Those same requirements are in the 2006 code at 2.8.3.4.  Transverse stiffeners were not addressed in this manner in 2000 or earlier codes.  Take a look at 2.8.3.4 in a 2002 or later code.

I get criticized by auditors for keeping old D1.1 versions, but this is a perfect example as to why I do.      
Parent - By natecf (*) Date 08-17-2007 02:33
Thanks for the info. I did read 2.8.3.4 in my current copy,although it did not seem to address what i was looking for. I lent my old copy out to one of my welders, looks like I'll have to get it back, and compare the two sections. then I'll make a proscedure that works.
thank you for your help
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / web stiffeners