Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 sample questions
- - By ctacker (****) Date 08-19-2007 04:35
I would be very appreciative of anyone that could send a few questions based on what i would be looking at on the test,i know what to expect on the fundamental and practical,but am clueless as to what might be asked on the code,thanks in advance!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-19-2007 12:16
If it's in the books, it's fair game for a tes question.

Al
Parent - - By hillbilly CWI Date 08-19-2007 19:37
Just took my test in July if you have the time i would suggest getting hold of the D1.1 code book and get the study guide for the D1.1 it will have practice questions so you can see somewhat how they will ask them GOOD LUCK
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 08-20-2007 00:43
it does have the practice questions,but it also tells you which sections to look at! which is sort of short changing the user i think!
Parent - - By hillbilly CWI Date 08-19-2007 20:16
may i ask why you are taking the code section on D1.1 does your employer want you to take to this code. I suggest if you are the one paying to take test to take under API 1104 not that it is easier but if you have never been around any of the code books anyway its easier to look thru about 70 pages instead of 500 pages just and suggestion
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-19-2007 20:44
I recommend taking the open book code exam that relates to your work. Why take a test using a code you don't use. That's like learning to drive an automatic when you're going to actually drive a standard. You might pass the test, but you won't be worth much on the job until you learn the applicable code.

Al
Parent - - By hillbilly CWI Date 08-19-2007 21:53
not to offend anyone but we all will have to look thru the codes we will work under. I took the API 1104 i had to study it and learn it just as i will have to study the other codes that i will have to work under i don't know which codes i will be working to till i get to the job. So i don't agree with your reasoning that you want be worth much he may be going to work to one code so it would helpful to know just that code. But like i was saying if he is the one paying for the test which is hard enough as is why make it harder when it does not matter which code you take because you will be certified to all the codes to which you will work under.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-19-2007 23:36 Edited 08-19-2007 23:54
Read my reply again, I said it would make sense to take the code examination a candidate has experience with. If he doesn't have experience working to a code then he shouldn't be taking the test. One of the questions on the CWI application is whether or not the applicant has been working to a code and which one. 

No where in QC1 does it state that a CWI is qualified to use any code based on the one open book code examination, only that they have the ability to use a code as demonstrated by the open book examination. It is still the employer's responsibility to determine if the CWI is qualified for the jobs to which he is assigned. That idea, test with one code and you are qualifed for all codes, is dying very quickly because of unpleasent experiences by industry with unqualifed inspectors.

More and more clients are insisting that the CWI have demonstrated experience with the specific code that covers the work being fabricated, i.e., they want to see that the CWI took the "right" open book examination. Until recently, there were no provisions for the CWI to go back and take a different open book code examination. The new QC1 permits the CWI or SCWI to take any number of open book examinations in response to the demands of the market place.

Looking through a code is not the same as studying a code. One of the major complaints from fabricators is with regards to third party inspectors that are not familiar with the code requirements before they show up on the job. Trust me, it doesn't take long for a fabricator to assess the inspector's background and experience. Those comments get back to the client before the report does.

If your back ground and work experience is in the oil patch, it makes sense to take the API 1104 examination. If you work in the structural industry or want to work in the structural steel sector it makes sense to take the D1.1 or D1.5 examination, and if you work or want to work in the piping industry, an ASME examination makes sense.  More employers and clients are asking "what open book exmination did you take?" during the job interview. Be prepared.

You took your examination in July and you passed. Congratulations. I would like to hear what you have to say in five years after you have some expeience as CWI and you've knocked around a bit. You said you took the API 1104 examination. Why? Is that the industrial sector you want to work in? If you apply for a job with a structural steel fabricator, do you really believe that you have a the upper hand aginst someone applying for the same job that tells the interviewer he passed the open book D1.1 examination?  What are you going to say when he asks you the question? Likewise, I believe you will have the upper hand if you are applying for a job in the oil patch over someone that took the D1.1 open book examination. Do you have a job as  CWI yet? I'm not asking the questions to put you down or to put you in your place. They are honest question that you should have asked yourself and any prospective CWI candidate should consider before deciding what open book examination to take.

Over the years I've taken several open book examinations and trust me, I let my clients know what tests I've taken and I've gotten the work because my competitors didn't take the "right" test. How do I know, because my clients have said the reason I got the work is because I took the "right" test for the job being performed. I've even had to show the client the test score sheet to verify I took the "right" examination. Trust me, industry knows the difference between the examinations. The CWI program is no longer something new. It's tried and true. Customers know what examinations are offered and they know which examinations are applicable to their work.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 08-20-2007 00:41
I have over 25 yrs in the structural,Machinery field,and i had thorough knowledge of the '72 d1.1,i also have the '06 d1.1 and the code clinic,but the 2  are like totaly different books,i only recently got the 2006 code book and have only 6 weeks to study! i just thought i could get some knowledge of the kind of questions asked on the test!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-20-2007 02:45
Hi ctacker!
I believe the last post 803056 wrote was directed towards Hillbilly CWI so. please do'nt get the wrong idea that any of his comments were directed soley towards you ;) Although I do agree with his comments ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By hillbilly CWI Date 08-20-2007 13:03 Edited 08-20-2007 15:31
AL, I've been a boilermaker welder for over 24 yrs so I've been around the ASME and D1.1 codes my whole career as a welder. When i decided to take the CWI test about 2 yrs ago i spoke with many of our inspectors and asked what i should do. Every one that i spoke to told me to take it under API 1104 like i said I've been around the other codes awhile but welding to them i had never had the chance to look at one. I have invested over $3000 of my money and studied on and off for about 1 1/2 yrs so every one has 2 hrs on each section and like i stated why look thru a sears and roebuck catalog when you can look at 70 pages it just helps your odds i think it is stressful enough without adding more pressure to yourself. Yes i have a job as a CWI this fall working under D1.1 and ASME but maybe I'm fortunate enough to be working with 5 other inspectors to help me transition into it slowly and not be thrown to the wolfs first time. From what i can find out not many of the ones that took the D1.1 passed the test and some of them work under that code all of the time. I'm not saying anyone of them was dumb by no mends it's just the test is different then the way you will be using the codes out in the workplace. So i wanted all the odds on my side. I also believe that they will give you more than 3 mins. to give them and answer in the work field.                                     
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 08-20-2007 00:47
all my experience is is the structural dept. and yes i am paying for it out of pocket,so no seminars,and failing is not an option,so any help would be nice!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-20-2007 03:54
My advice is to read it once to understand what's in the book (lthough you should have a fair idea already).
Read it again to understand what it says.
Read it a third time and highlight all the little footnotes in the tables so you will not overlook them when answering questions of the examination. I'm not talking of the footnotes at the end of the tables, I'm talking about all the little numbers (foot note numbers) in the midst of the tables.

In section 4 on qualification, mark all the tables that address procedure qualification with the letter "P" using your yellow highlighter. Mark all the tables addressing welder performance qualfication with the letter "W".

Tab each section along the vertical edge (see Joe, I can spell vertical!). Tab the beginning of the tables and figures (at the end of each section) along the top edge.

Look through each paragraph and look for key words that define the information found in each. For instance, paragraph 5.22.1 addresses the root opening and assembly requirements for fillet welds. Mark "Fitup and Root Opening" in the margin so you can find it easily. Next, look in the index at the end of the book and find "assembly" listed with the reference to paragraph 5.22.1; write "fitup and root opening" beside 5.22.1 5.22.1. Under root opening you will not find reference to paragraph 5.22.1, so add the paragraph after the paragraphs listed.

In the index, look up F number. You will not find it, so under the heading for "F" add "F Number" with the appropriate table and page number from section 4.

You have to make D1.1 your book by adding information you think is important. You can mark it up any way you want, you can add tabs, you can add words and references to the index.  Don't go crazy with the highlighter. The paragraphs are already in bold print. Maybe you can highlight the keywords so you can locate them easily.

One last wod of advice, put "forwarding adresses" in the margins where appropriate. That is, when a paragraph references a table, figure, or another paragraph, write in the page number where it can be located next to the referencing paragraph.

My D1.1 has all sorts of notes and forwarding addresses and tabs. It is about ready to fall apart. As a matter of fact, I'm about to place it in a three ring binder because it is falling apart. People see my code and they know it's well used and abused. I never perform a structural inspection without it. When I reject a weld, I reference the appropriate paragraph in the report.

I don't believe there are any questions from the Annexes or the Commentary, so put a rubber band around them. That cuts the number of pages you have to deal with by 50%.

I know what you mean about the differences between the old versions of D1.1 and the "new" improved versions of D1.1. It took me a while to get familiar with the changes in the layout and where to find the information.

Good luck. - Al
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 08-20-2007 05:42
thanks for the great info,i've already had the footnotes highlighted,and sections tabbed(across the top),but need to tab tables and vertically,as for the figures,the run right before the next section,so dont need to tab those,again,thanks!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-20-2007 16:38 Edited 08-20-2007 16:42
Like they say, opinions are like axxhxxxs, everyone has one.

Mine was just one of the many opinions freely offered. In the end, you have to do what's best for you.

You sound like you are at a crossroad in your career. You have many years of welding experience and that's what can separate the inspector from a really good inspector. There's nothing like having first hand knowledge of welding to become a very good welding inspector. First hand knowledge and experience as a welder is like having a full tool box of tool when you're working on your car. It doen't make you an "ace mechanic", but it sure make the work easier.   A welder can always tell which inspectors "know" welding and those that simply read the book. It takes those inspectors with no welding experience a longer time to establish their credibility with welders than the inspector that has first hand welding experience. Now you need to add some credentials to your resume.

My experience, and I'm speaking as a person that has been preparing people for the CWI for many years, has been that those people that prepare before the examination do well. Those that cram the week before don't do so well. My cohort and I can usually predict within the first day of class who will pass and who will fail with a 95% certainty rate. The individuals that complain the loudest are the one or two that are unprepared.

A few people take the AWS seminar just before the examination without ever cracking a book before hand. Then, to their amazement, they find the volume of information presented overwhelming. You've heard comments from several people that were very upset with the AWS instructors. I've instructed several times for AWS as a replacement instructor and I'm always taken aback by the attitude of a few of the attendees. They (and let me make it very clear that they are the minority) figure the seminar should cover only what's on the examination and nothing more. They assume that because they sit in the classroom for six days they should be able to walk into the examination and pass it.  Usually their first few questions are, "where are the strip clubs or can we quit early so we can miss the heavy traffic?"  

My reply is that they aren't chained to the chair and they are free to leave any time they get the urge to do so. I'm not very sympathetic. As for the passing rate, as I said, those that come to the review prepared do very well. Those that don't come prepared do not fare very well. No one leaves my class knowing less than they did coming into the class. Do I tell stories? Yes, and lots of them to reinforce a point or to demonstrate how the information is put to use. Do I tell stories of my boat? No, I don't own one because I don't have time to use one. I usually work seven days week on welding related issues. Do I let a curse slip once in a while? Yup, guilty as charged. In my twenty plus years in the field as a welder, I learned a lot of words I never knew before entering the trades.  

I have to imagine the other instructors are like me. Some like Rich DePue, Ken Coryell, and Ted Webber (now retired) are great instructors and have more polish than I do. But the bottom line is that the instructors are doing their level best to provide their students with the information needed to work as an inspector, not merely pass the CWI examination. They cover the information to freshen your memory and perhaps provide some additional insight, but it is still the student's responsibility to prepare of the seminar and to do their best to study in the evenings. The instructors can't do that for the student.   

Sorry to get off the subject, but I get concerned with some of the threads I've been reading about AWS seminars or instructors. Which open book examination should I take? Why is the examination so hard?  And the list of questions goes on and on. You do what's best for you. You after all is said and done with, will be the person that pays for the examination with your time and possibly your own money. Just make sure you get the most for the money and effort spent.  Take the examination that will give you the most value when all is said and done. A little more effort and study on the front end will usually pay off in the long run.

Do you plan to work as a special inspector in the structural steel industry? Do you want to inspect bridges? Do you want to work in the oil patch? Let that be your guide, not what others say is the easiest test. Don't let other people plan your life for you. You do what's best for you and look "long term". 

I've always tried to look down the road to prepare myself for the next job. No job is forever, so plan ahead and be ready for the next opportunity.

My father told me, "Don't run with the pack, put yourself ahead of the pack". They were good words of advice. Why be a wanabe?

Good luck - Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-20-2007 21:47
Hi Al ! "Opinions are like axxhxxxx, everybody has one."
Sounds like you've definitely shown us yours!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 08-21-2007 03:21
ok,i know this is off topic,but what grade of plate is formalloy 400,also refered to in my shop as t-1?
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-21-2007 09:13
Formalloy 400 Similar alloy brand trade marks: Oregon AR 400(tm), Ameriwear 400(tm), AR 400Chapalloy 400(tm), Hardox 400(tm), Hardware 400(tm), Centrex Rhino Tuf(tm), Wearalloy AR400(tm)
It's a Quench & Tempered, Abrasion Resistant (AR) steel...
C 0.16/0.25, Mn 1.50, P 0.025, S 0.010/0.015, Si 0.50, Cr 0.60, Mo 0.60, Boron 0.003
Tensile 180 ksi (1240 MPa), Yield 155,000 psi, (1070 MPa), BHN 360/440

T-1 is a QT-100, ASTM A514 Grade S or other letters. 
C 0.20, Mn 1.50, P 0.03, S 0.015, Si 0.45, Mo 0.40, B 0.0005/0.005 
Tensile 110 ksi (760 MPa), Yield 100,000 psi, ( 700 MPa), BHN 235/293
http://www.principalmetals.com/utilities/periodic.htm

Here are some links:
http://www.imac.ca/technofocus/imac%20internal%20lingo.htm
http://www.wilkinsonsteel.com/CarbonMildSteel/Plate/QT_WearPlate.htm
http://www.jewellattachments.com/products_details.asp?Product_Id=423

Here's a local producer just north of where I live... Makes a slightly different type of Q&Tsteel.
http://www.jadco-inc.com/qt_plus.php

A local mill just south of me:
http://www.chapelsteel.com/t-1-321-t-1-360.html
http://www.chapelsteel.com/a514.html
http://www.chapelsteel.com/ar400-ar360.html
http://www.chapelsteel.com/ar400f.html
http://www.chapelsteel.com/products.html

Another company in Arizona:
http://www.escocorp.com/heflin_steel/wear/materials.html
http://www.escocorp.com/engproducts/mining/index.html

From Tuscaloosa, Alabama!!!: (Had a girl from there once! ;) ):
http://www.hardsteel.net/english/product_guide/PDF/wearres_plate.pdf
http://www.hardsteel.net/english/product_guide/index.html

Hope this helps you in determining the differences and variety of producers for both of these gardes of steel! :) :) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 08-22-2007 00:29 Edited 08-23-2007 19:06
yes,helps alot,the esco site Ive been to ,we build buckets(up to 39 yard,pictured below) and lips for them! thank you!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-24-2007 21:05
It looks like that mouth full of teeth could use some braces!

Al
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 08-25-2007 19:02
Small world.  One of my clients builds mining equipment too.  A tick larger though.  This one is 135 cyd.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-03-2007 04:02
could be its door
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 09-04-2007 02:54
That looks like a dipper door, and a good size one too.  The Earth Eater is a dragline bucket ..... no door

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 09-04-2007 03:08
is a dipper door, manganese might i add. good thing i have one of those ventilated hoods!
I've only been with This company 3 yrs, and have never worked earth moving stuff before, so pardon my not knowing what goes to what, i just see the print and build what i see!
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 09-04-2007 04:38
Believe me, I know what you mean,  those machines are so massive.  Only one client I have works with manganese items which are lips, latchkeepers for the doors like you built and racking.

~thirdeye~
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 08-29-2007 20:24
Here is an old Esco bucket.  It's a 1/2 yard.

~thirdeye~
Parent - - By hittman375 (*) Date 08-30-2007 19:21
I took the test and passed last year. My open book test had alot of questions on beams and girders. I would suggest putting in as many tabs as you can in your code book to mark the important stuff. Also, last year I was told that the API 1104 code test was bumped up to 63 questions. So I don't know if it would still be easier to take that test. I took the D1.1 test and had maybe 5 or 10 minutes to spare. I will look and see if I can find the sample questions that they gave us in the prep class.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 08-31-2007 21:11
cool,i would appreciate it
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 sample questions