Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / to weave or not?
- - By ddrisco (*) Date 08-21-2007 01:06
Hello all,
So I am going soon for my vertical unlimited thickness test, and have one quick question,, My boss was watching me weld and suggested that I not weave while laying down my stringer beads, he said said they will fail me, he suggest only doing a whip "in out",  I can do either but wanted to know if there is any truth to my boss's words, I looked up some of the regs saw that the stringers could not be larger then 3/8 " but it never said how it should be laid down,  any info
cheers
D
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 08-21-2007 01:32
Hello ddrisco, I would respectfully disagree with your bosses suggestion to do a whip "in out", that is not the way to properly manipulate an E7018 electrode. Regardless of whether you use a steady uphill progression or weave slightly when you make your stringer passes, concentrate on not leaving excessive undercut on the edges and not having an excessive bulge in the center of the bead. Just a small additional note on why not to "whip" the electrode with E7018, it is highly susceptible to atmospheric contamination if it is long-arced or if it is whipped due to the makeup of the fluxing agents and additives in the rod, if you use a smooth deliberate rod movement to help spread the bead slightly, that will not be detrimental to the weld deposit. I know there are many views and opinions on what is an acceptable bead width or profile so I won't try to tell you how to go on that, what I will say is to communicate with the tester or agency that will be testing you and find out what they will be looking for in this regard. Knowledge is power and knowing beforehand won't leave you out in the dark if they request something of you that you are not familiar with. A few thoughts for consideration. Best of luck on your testing and regards, aevald
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-21-2007 19:22
What does your WPS call for?

You didn't say what code you are working to nor did you tell us the electrode you are using. What "regs" are you referring to?

If you are using E6010 or E6011, whipping the electrode is a common technique. However, if you are using E7018, as suggested by "aevald", it isn't usually "whipped" with favorable results.

Al
Parent - - By ddrisco (*) Date 08-22-2007 17:32
yes your right I  should have listed a lot more info, but in my hast to post, I just for got, I will be testing for the New York State DOT 3G test on 1 inch plate, with a 3/8 backing strip, my root pass needed to be 6010 (rod size 5/32) and all other beads need to be 7018,,  I know there are many requirements but thats the basics of it.
cheers
D
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-22-2007 22:45
Hi D!
I just read your response and correct me if I'm wrong here but, did you write that the root pass for the NYSDOT test is to be deposited using E-6010, 5/32" Diameter? I ask this because, that is incorrect!!!

According to the NY State Steel Construction Manual, For SMAW the filler metal  is 5/32" dia., E-7018 only! Think about it! Why would you or anyone in their right mind which includes you, want to deposit an E-6010 root pass on a 3/8"X3"X5" Backing Plate that has been positioned so that the center line of the backing plate is dead center of the 1/4" Root opening or gap, and is tacked to the back of two 1" plates with a 45 degree included angle & 1/4" root opening???

Joe Kane has a handout on this test, and if you ask him nicely enough (Just Kidding Joe ;)), he might just send you a copy that has alot more info besides the little bit that I've posted ;) Since I did'nt get permission from Joe as to whether or not I could share the handout with you, I'm not going to attach it here out of respect for Joe. :) If he says it's okay then, I'll be glad to share it with you in a New York MINUTE!!! :) :) :)
How about it Joe, Do I have your permission???

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-24-2007 01:24
Henry

By all means, please send him the handout.  That is public domain information.  5/32 Inch E-7018, from root to cap.  No power tools, except to grind the cap flush after the test.  Note, the 3/8 inch test plate means you are taking a shop welder test.  this is only good in that shop and only for three years.  I personally found it easier to take the 1 inch test plate test.  Find out what Modern Welding iSchool n Scenectady NY currently charges and get certified as a field welder on 1 inch plates.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By ddrisco (*) Date 08-23-2007 01:05
HMMM  Henry? I am looking at  pdf that I down loaded from the NYS DOT (called FW_brochure_4-07.pdf)  and it says that the first pass is 6010,,(thats what I was going on) I guess I should try to get a real code book and call those that are issuing the test and ask what it is they are looking for.. Either way ( all 7018 or 6010 & 7018) I am ready for it,, (I hope)  thanks for your post, I am going to hunt for some more info on line, to make sure I am practicing the way that I will be tested.
thanks
D
Parent - - By ddrisco (*) Date 08-23-2007 01:11
Henry,
WOW, I must have some romance with the 6010 rods cause I reread it,, AGAIN, and well now it says all pass are done in 7018,, hehe,, thanks for your post,,
Cheers
D
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-23-2007 08:24
Good advice Allen and Henry.

Run your stringers at the limits of what your asked to do with the size they give you to do so.  If a gentle side to side helps you tie in better then by all means do so...if you are comfortable just keeping it right in there and progressing straight up then by all means do so.  Do not pull that 7018 off your puddle whatsoever...keep it close and run it.  Since its unlimited you will have a lot of passes....pay attention to your stringers and your placement for each pass (in order to fill efficiently)...but most importantly clean clean clean clean clean.  Most times I have taken this test it was a chipping hammer and a brush....rake your edges with that hammer and brush it good every time and you will shoot just fine.  Now by no means did I say you cannot weave a 7018  I think the "standard" is 2 1/2 times rod diameter...you can get away with a lot more but its best to keep em narrow and just run you stringers and fill it up.  Since you are comfortable with this rod I doubt you will have issues.

Best of luck
(my $.02)
Tommy
Parent - - By ddrisco (*) Date 08-24-2007 01:48
Thank you all for your posts. I will take everyones advice and put it use,
THANK YOU ALL
cheers
D
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-24-2007 06:26 Edited 08-24-2007 07:10
I tried to attach it here but the file is too big... Send me your e-mail address via personal message and I'll send you the file :)

Here's the link to the "Modern Welding School" in Schenectady, NY that Joe alluded to earlier... Their rates are IMHO, very reasonable!!! ;)
http://modernwelding.com/industry_training/it_certification_testing.htm

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / to weave or not?