Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Underwater welding and burning pictures
- - By gndchuck (**) Date 08-21-2007 03:48
Hey all, here's a couple of pictures of wet welding.  The first is from a job that was just completed a couple of weeks ago, the other is from a few years ago, and a couple of burning, one is burning 4500 feet of 1 1/4" cable off of an anchor drum, 25 broco rods and 30 minutes later (usually takes awhile with oxy-acet), and the last is from a burning class that I was instructing, it is of one of my students. 

Charles Welch
Parent - - By new tito (***) Date 08-21-2007 11:24
Man those are some great pictures.  Glad you shared them.

Looks like your little striped friend in the 1st picture needs a lesson on PPE....flashburn's a bich!!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-21-2007 19:29
These are some good photos and make for some interesting conversation.

Would you mind if I used a couple for my welding course for show and tell?

Best rgards -Al
Parent - - By gndchuck (**) Date 08-22-2007 00:07
By all means you can use them, if you need more I've got like 400 to 600 more for welding.  Just took some more for the underwater burning from the last 3 classes that I've taught.  Let me know if you would like some more I can either email them or burn you a cd and send that to you.

Charles Welch
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-22-2007 02:40
I wonder how that affects the four hour exposure limits for the low hydrogen electrodes? :)

CD would be great!

Bes regards - Al
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 08-22-2007 03:56
Beautiful Pictures there Charles!!!

Just curious as to what type of camera was used to take them ;)
Btw, If it's not too much to ask , could you send me some of those pics???
My e-mail's in my profile but, I'll give it to you now anyway: hanklive39@hotmail.com or hanklive39@gmail.com :)

I can also e-mail my address to you if you prefer to send a CD and I can send you some blanks back for your troubles. These would be great to show in class and who knows, maybe some of the students might just want to go to your school!!! :) :) :) I look foward to your response. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By gndchuck (**) Date 08-23-2007 00:29
The camera that I use is a canon sd630 (a point and shoot) 6MP in a waterproof case.  Can't take it for every dive that I make, (depends on the company man).  The most pictures that I've taken on a dive of the guys welding was 335 frames, of course not all of them were keepers but 90 percent were.  If there's anyone that would like some pictures just email me, I'll gladly send some.  C_welch@bellsouth.net

Charles Welch
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-23-2007 08:05
I wonder if I am too old to go diving for a living.....those are great pics Charles!!!  I like fishing and I am thinking little welding little fishing little welding little fishing  LOL!!!    Is it true that the arc brings in some big visitors???  I  kinda have this thing about being in the water with somthing thats more then twice my size much less 20.
Parent - - By Bill M (***) Date 08-24-2007 17:53
thanks for sharing the pictures

In the last picture ...you can look into the welders faceshield and see his face.  It doesn't seem like you need much of a filter shade for this underwater cutting.

I agree with Tommy, I don't want to swim with something that want's to eat me.  (major shark phobia here)
Parent - - By gndchuck (**) Date 08-24-2007 21:02
For the most part if you're doing your job right on the burning you don't need a shaded lens, but if you're going to scarf with that burning rig you'll definitely need a lens.
Parent - - By batanony (*) Date 08-25-2007 09:24
Hello :)

The pictures are really great and the visibility underwater is ver good...Well, i do my PhD study in wet welding. We try to identify the main defects associated with wet welding apart from the welder diver skills ..

Well, we have welded so far inside a tank..The base metal is low carbon structure steel and the electrodes used are E6013 dipped in paraffin wax baths 1st...The major defect we encountered was the arc blow that resulted in lack of side wall fusion!!, also the poor start and end which are most probably again due to forward and backward arc blow ...
I was wondering gndchuck if u have common defects that arise when welding underwater ? could u please tell me what r they?

btw, all the details of my work are in another thread called " Magentic pereambility versus temprature" if u would like to take a quick look :) Thank u  .

Mona
Parent - - By gndchuck (**) Date 08-26-2007 02:12
Hi, does your studies require you to use E6013?  If you're not require you might want to try E7014, have preheated in an rod oven to 200 degrees F, then let the rods soak for about 5 minutes in the paraffin bath.  I have heard of others using varnish.  Do you have a gauss strength reading?  Also what amperage are you trying to weld?  We commonly use 145 - 165 amperage for 1/8" electrode.  At what depth are you try to do the welds? and what position?  Not trying to sound like a smart a$$, just want to point you in the right direction. 

Charles Welch
Parent - - By batanony (*) Date 08-26-2007 19:08
Hi again Mr. Charles ,

Allow me please to give you some details about my work. We ( the team work) are welding inside a tank full of water. We r trying to identify the effect of water on the resulted weld.
We tried electrodes E7014 at first but didn't work quiet well with us underwater yet we achieved comparable results when we used electrodes E6013. Well, I don't know how varnish is used as an insultaing coating on the electrode. We use paraffin as i mentioned earlier. Yes, i have a guess strength reading which i use to measure the guass before welding and it is usually normal (low)  because we r welding a low carbon steel.
We use a DC generator in wet welding and the ampere is always set at 200 Amp. maximum but we reach it. the welding current during welding  is abit higher than that you use. The range of the current in wet welding is from 170 -190 Amp.  too high? the thickness we r welding is 6 mm..Some times with backing strip ..Some times no backing strip
No depths to metnion!!! and the welding position is flat in all the series of experiments...Thank you so much
Parent - - By gndchuck (**) Date 08-27-2007 00:06
Hi Batanony,
I just read your post in the technical forum, very interesting work indeed.  We use 1/8" electrodes at the company that I work for, found that anything bigger just had problems.  As far as the amp range that you're getting in the water that is a bit high, if you lower the amperage to 145 - 165 range you may find more satisfying results.  You mentioned that your team is welding in a tub/tank, if you are welding 3 foot or less in water depth you will find it very difficult to get good results.  For underwater welding you need the pressure of the water to offset the gases produced with the flux.  Not enough water pressure and the gas envolpe collapses too quickly.  With that said, I'm not saying that welding in 3 foot or shallower is impossible, just very difficult.  You might also look into vertical welds until you find a good amperage and the diver/team gets more accustom to welding in the wet, the flat position happens to be the most difficult because the gas envolpe collapes almost as fast as it's formed.  Keep us informed of your progress, and I'll help as much as I can.

best of luck in your endeavors

Charles Welch
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 09-30-2007 05:10
cool pictures how long is schooling for the under water welding? Thanks

Chris
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Underwater welding and burning pictures