Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Wires for GMAW
- - By Dave (**) Date 03-23-2001 20:09
What is the difference in the various wires, E70S-1 to E70S-6 when used with the GMAW-S (95%Ar5%O) process on mild steel? Additionally, what is the ER70S.. designation? What are the differences in composition and mechanical properties? Where does one have an advantage over another? Is there a noticable difference in welding characteristics or the appearance of the finished weld? Is there any significant difference in price?

Thanks,

Dave
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-25-2001 04:19
The ER designates electrode or Rod, the 70 is the (As Welded I think) tensile strength/10000, S means solid, and the final number means various things that are described in AWS/SFA 5.18. Some wires are more suited to clean metals and some are more suited to rusted/dirty metal.

I haven't mig welded enough to notice a difference but when tig welding on various grades and conditions of carbon steel I have noticed some differences. Mainly with the cleanliness of the weld puddle and undercutting.

Someone on the forum probably has access to the spec and may post some more accurate information related to the numbers.

Have a good day

Gerald R. Austin
http://www.geocities.com/pipewelder_1999/
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 03-27-2001 02:25
Dave,
The various designators indicate the electrode (or rod for GTAW/PAW) chemical composition or chemical composition of weld metal for composite elctrodes. The numerical designator also determines the AWS required mechanical properties such as:
-2, -6 and -7 have a impact requirement of 20 Ft. Lb. @ -20 dgrees F.
-4 and -5 have no impact requirements.
-3 has a 20 Ft. Lb. @ 0 degree F.

I like the last post from Pipe, only a welder would know the feel of a given electrode or base metal. I've tried explaining this to various professionals who scoff at this idea. Good for you.

By the way, the composite or metal cored electrodes are great. I recommend them for those who use the GMAW process. I was at a meeting last week and a know-it-all (see above paragraph) was a bit disturbed about the fact we (my client) are using composite electrodes. He thinks were using flux core.
Acedemia at it's best...
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 03-27-2001 14:49
THE REPLIES SO FAR ARE CORRECT. I BELIEVE THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN PRICE BETWEEN S-3 AND S-6 WIRES. S-6 ARE GENERALLY A BETTER GRADE(BETTER COMPOSITION). WITH 95-5 GAS ARE YOU PRODUCTION WELDING OR USING SPRAY TRANSFER OR BOTH?
Parent - By bspeirs (*) Date 03-28-2001 03:25
ER70S-6 has a lot of de-oxidisers, and would be the preferred choice when using C02. Using a high Argon composition will still work fine, but the strength of the weld metal will increase quite a bit, since the de-ox components are not "consumed". I assume that the ductility would decrease at the same time.
Parent - By dee (***) Date 03-29-2001 01:35
xxxx-S1 has less silicon than xxxx-S6

costs more does not mean better they are appropriate for different applications

Si and Zn (galvanized) don't mix; microcracking (not asked)

more Si causes increase of fluidity

did we all leave anything out?

at what point does O2 in the shielding lead to porosity in highly fluid welds?
D
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Wires for GMAW