Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stress Relieving motorcycle frames
- - By Choppperguy Date 08-21-2007 21:25
Anyone have any opinions or technical data on Stress relieving motorcycle frames, I work for a manufacturer that is going into the frame welding business, Mild Steel DOM tubular structures.  Our engineering crew has decided it is necessarry to Stress relieve frames.  I don't think it is necessary and drives cost up. 

What say you all
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-21-2007 21:52
In all honesty I'd say, what does Harley do? They have engineered these things for decades. No need to reinvent the wheel on such a basic decision.
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 08-21-2007 23:33
Hey Choppperguy,
I'm a biker in my 52nd year in the saddle and a welder 43+ years, so my comments & opinion are from experience. Do yourself a favor and listen to your engineers. Your post indicates you have no idea of the stresses and flex that a MC frame is subject to, and the research/engineeering that is involved to construct a frame that will withstand the physical forces applied to them. The welded joints of a frame configuration are engineered to insure they can endure the stresses of the vibration & flex movements of a frame and not crack or break. Welding is an alteration of the characteristics of the original metal and that metal is affected by the heating & melting/fusion process. In all my years of welding, I have only welded 2 of my own frames on choppers I have built, and only because I had access to test equipment for metal stress where I worked. I never weld anyone's scoot.....NEVER!! The manufacturers who make motorcycles invest huge sums to their engineering staff to insure safe manufacturing procedures are followed. LIABILITY!!!!!!!!! The magic word that make it a necessity. I had the opportunity to watch a CAD video of the external forces applied to a MC frame and the flex necessary to withstand those forces and the breaking points of the welded areas that would contribute to a crack and loss of integrity. Fascinating to say the least. I would not want to bear the responsibility of a loss of a life because of COST!!!!!! What value are you going to place on someone's life?????????????????  Denny
Parent - By Choppperguy Date 08-22-2007 13:14 Edited 08-22-2007 13:17
My reason for feeling stress relieving as being unneccesary comes from the fact that none of the early spaceframe aircraft engine mounts for lycoming engines were stress relieved, to date none of these have failed due to welding them.  This is stated in the performance welding handbook.  Stress relieving does not increase tensil strength.  We are testing the frames, and I personally have ridden these frames that were unstress relieved at high speed and long distances.  The frames we have had relieved were done in a fixture.  The relieveing is done someplace below critical range.  If my memory serves me correctly it is around 800deg F. and brought down slowly.  We are doing two post shaker table testing also using a drive file created by road testing.  When I say added cost that refers to non value added cost.  We would never put something on the road that would unsafe to save money that is ludicras.  If stress relieveing does not add strength or durability to the frame why would you do it?  Currently to my knowledge the motor company does not stress relieve. And believe me I know plenty well what the stress are on a frame.  I have done complete FEA on the frames I also have 22 years in the saddle.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-22-2007 01:12
I'd say your playing with fire, and if your first thought is to the cost rather than the life, then I believe your priorities need some adjustment.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-22-2007 04:08
If You decide that the frames will be stress relieved I think You are going to need to do it in a jig to retain the dimensional acuracy that You built into it initally. What temperature do Your engineeres have in mind? We used 1400f for tooling weldments at the plant, I think a bike frame would be pretty limp at that temperature. I don't know what Harley does, but I tend to doubt that they stress relieve entire frames. I guess You could only heat the welded areas. What experience are the engineers drawing on for this decision?  I agree with Denny and others that frame fabrication is not to be taken lightly, I suggest Your company invest in the facilities to fatigue test prototype and production frames. The auto frame plant I worked for did, as do all the others. You engineer to the best of Your abilities, then You PROVE it with actual tests. Bikes are no different.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-22-2007 13:30
First of all stress relieving is not some magic process that somehow makes a material suitable-especially with carbon steel, or nickels, or stainlesses, etc. Unstressed carbon steel undergoes tremendous stresses in all manner of services everyday. Whether or not it is suitable for this particular service needs to be engineered, not just assumed that stress relief is better.
The advice on engineering is sound. But the process would be one, if you choose to do your own research as opposed to adopting whatever may be the industry standard, is to evaluate the stresses anticipated (a monumental undertaking)and then adopt a mechanical testing regime to determine how best to meet those requirements. This certainly is exactly what the motorcycle industry, and all other industries for that matter, have done from the very beginning.
If your engineers have decided on stress relief then I assume they either have some justifiction from the industry as a whole, either in data or literature, or they have data of their own. Without such their decision to stress relief is just as irresponsible as not to stress relief without justifying data.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-23-2007 03:38
A point I should have made in My previous post is that on the asumption that Your company expects to produce these frames for profit, the engineeres need to come up with a design and manufacturing method that produces a strong and durable frame WITHOUT THE NEED for stress relief. To develope a frame they should engineer to the best of their abilities, then build a frame or two, and atrach strain gages to all the heavily stressed areas. Then the bike needs to be built and driven hard over rough surfaces, and generally abused in every way. The data from the strain gages is analyzed and fixturing is built to duplicate the stresses of actual riding. Hydraulics are used to cycle the fixtures rapidly, and if the frame survives enough load cycles to indicate that fatigue is not going to be a problem You are ready to go into production. If not, revisions are made and the process repeated untill the problems are solved. Periodically production frames should be subject to these same tests to be sure that the frame as produced is good. Alternatly, You can do what everybody else is doing and hope for the best.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-23-2007 17:45
Dvae,
Your last post really demonstrates the difficulties and time consumption in doing this right. Good post.
Parent - - By Choppperguy Date 08-23-2007 18:56
Dave,
We are doing all of that, we have already attatched strain gages and accelerometers to the frames, road the bikes on a test track to simulate worst case scenarios, then we have put the entire vehical on a 2post cyclical shaker table that simulates the loads seen on the test track. We have corralated all of this data to the FEA that we did.  So we are doing our homework.
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 08-23-2007 23:23
Hey Choppperguy,
I want to apologize if my reply appeared crude or demeaning in any way, and did not infer you weren't knowledgeable. Your original post was quite brief and did not indicate the steps you have already performed. My response was due to the "custom" frames I have seen, some resulting failures due to poor welding technique or parameters in design & testing, and a near disaster that a riding bud had with his "custom" frame. I believe the gents here have given you "food-for-thought" so to speak, and also try to provide the best and most sound techniques to obtain your goal. I can understand your issue being in business and the need to be a profitable enterprise and yet provide a quality/value product. Your posts reveal you ARE doing your homework....I applaud that and hope you can complete your goals and maintain a profitable operation as all profitable business keep people working. Good luck & keep us posted on your final determinations...Denny
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-24-2007 05:22
Chopperguy, I am glad to hear You are doing a complete job of R&D. As Denny mentioned, there are a lot who are not.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-24-2007 14:13
Denny is right. I think the brevity of your question and the elementary nature of it as well (PWHT or not) made us all believe (or maybe I only speak for myself) that you perhaps weren't as sophisticated as you obviously are. And therein lies the concern of many of the posts.
But in all reality sometimes these very elementary questions deserve reconsideration. Even when the engineering behind a certain approach matches that of a NASA project to Pluto. I believe that is where you are coming from.
It would not be the first time that a questioning of industry standards completely overturned orthodox thinking.
Parent - By darren (***) Date 08-24-2007 19:17
il assume that you considered sonic stress relieving. i dont know much about it except nascar, indy nasa formula one and a whole host of others use it.
here is a link to a whole bunch of stress relieving companies. i am sure you are way ahead of me on all this but you never know when the mouse can pull the thorn out of the lions paw.
http://www.thomasnet.com/products/stress-relieving-81111403-1.html
darren
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Stress Relieving motorcycle frames