Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / A312 Aand A269 304 stainless
- - By bryan_jr Date 08-22-2007 00:40
How much of a difference is there between the two codes and would there be any issues if they were welded together?
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 08-22-2007 02:24
I'm not sure what two codes you are speaking of, but a 312 stainless steel and a 304 stainless steel can certainly be welded together. The 312 is a high alloyed consumable designed for welding C/Mn-steels, tool steels, spring steels, high temperature steels and other difficult to weld steels. The 312 is also suitable for welding dissimilar stainless steels, such as 312 to 304, and between stainless and carbon steels. The 312 has high tensile strength and wear resistance with excellent resistance to cracking. So, you should encounter no problems when welding these two metals together.

Chuck
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-22-2007 02:55
Hello Chuck;

It's good to have you back. I hope things are getting back to "normal" for you and you are feeling better.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-22-2007 03:32
Hello there Chuck, good to see you, hope all is well.

bryan, in regards to the two:

ASTM A312/A312M-06 Standard Specification for Seamless, Welded, and Heavily Cold Worked Austenitic Stainless Steel Pipes
ASTM A269-07 Standard Specification for Seamless and Welded Austenitic Stainless Steel Tubing for General Service

The signifigant difference is in tube vs pipe. I can't see there being a problem welding the two together.
I am assuming your welding an instrumentation line to a service pipe?

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By bryan_jr Date 08-22-2007 06:49
Im not, im just the person who looks at it, its for a solvent waste drain and from what i have seen before it was not a problem. Just wanted to see if someone knew something i did not because i have no access to the astm specs and im not sure if they were really compatable or not.

Thanks guys,
Bryan
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-22-2007 13:19
Just for teminological clarification; those are not codes, they're material specs(a Geralds post illustrated). Sounds picky I know, but often a lack of clarification on this does cause misunderstanding.
Sometimes differeing specification materials come frm the same melt, its just that it undergoes a seperate testing regime, processing, etc., and therefore is specified seperately.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / A312 Aand A269 304 stainless