Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Prep. of plasma-cut bevel before welding
- - By CMICHAEL Date 03-23-2001 20:56
We have a weldment using plates with a 30-degree bevel made with a 100 amp plasma cutter.

What problems could be encountered if sub-arc welding is used on a single V-groove butt joint of 1/2" A36 plate without blasting or otherwise cleaning this plasma-cut bevel?
Parent - By Dirk (*) Date 03-25-2001 01:50
You should not encounter any problems with plasma cut edges on A36 but is the 30 degree on both plate edges or 15 each to give a total of 30.

30 each side would be preferred.

What kind of backing is employed.

Dirk
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 03-25-2001 19:44
YOU SHOULD MAKE SURE THERE IS NOT SLAG ON THE BEVELED EDGES OF THE JOINT AFTER CUTTING SO THAT IT WILL NOT INTERFERE WITH BACKING OR CONTAMINATE THE WELD.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 03-27-2001 02:05
CMICHAEL,
I know you won't want to give up your plasma cutter, but you owe it to yourself to check out AGFuel (propylene) gas in lieu of acetylene or plasma cutting for carbon steels. I am a very hard sell (ask the local distributers), and I don't want to hear a lot of sales talk, but this particular gas had me convinced in a matter of minutes. I know, everyone tried the MAPP and other gasses that were not all they were cracked up to be, but this particular gas is great!

I tried this gas after watching the demo by a representative from AGF, and I was amazed. When performed properly (it takes very little skill by the operator), this gas would cut material like a shear with aboslutely no slag. When cuts were not performed properly (by trainees), the slag was easily removed, usually by one tap of the chipping hammer. The demo included a cut made from approximately 6-8" from the base metal for a bevel, and the cut was perfect!

You may want to sell your plasma cutter (unless your working with non-ferrous materials also) if you try this gas. It costs more than acetylene, but 1 bottle of AGF is equivelent to about 3 bottles of acetylene.

I now include this gas as a substitute for acetylene when I write project specifications. Give them a call and find out for yourself. Airgas is at least one supplier for AGF. AGFuel is based out of Texas, I don't have their number right this second, but when I find it I will post it.

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Prep. of plasma-cut bevel before welding