Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / General Welding test
- - By zebulan Date 08-22-2007 06:29
  I was recently contacted by a prospective employer that wants me to come in for a welding test.  I have some background with steel fabrication with a wire fed mig welding system and a plasma cutter, awsome tools realy.  However, I do not know all that would be required for the position.  I told the lady that I talked to, that I would need a little time to refresh my skills.  The test consists of in her words "vertical down, 100% Penetration, root pass, back grind, and cover pass".  If anyone out there knows what these tests are and or know of a good book that I could brush up on the terminology on, it would be most appreciated.  Thank you all for your time.
Parent - By swnorris (****) Date 08-22-2007 10:18 Edited 08-22-2007 10:31
When welding vertical down, angle the gun slightly back into the weld puddle at a 5 to 15 degree angle. For thin metal where burn-through is a concern, angle the gun slightly up and pull it downward (i.e., direct the wire away from the weld puddle). Either way, keep the electrode wire on the leading edge of the weld puddle. A very slight weave may help flatten the weld crown. (From Miller website)

Vertical down is a term for downhill.  Downhill means welding in a downward progression.  100% penetration means that the weld has completely penetrated the joint.  Root pass is the initial pass that is made at the root of the joint.  Backgrind is removing sufficient weld and base metal from the opposite side of the joint to facilitate complete fusion and complete joint penetration for subsequent welding from that side.  Cover pass is the final layer or pass of a groove weld.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / General Welding test