Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Lapse in Spray Mode Mig Work ?
- - By tom cooper (**) Date 08-22-2007 11:51
We have a welder who commonly does all our FCAW work on mild steels.  A job requiring spray mode on aluminum (54xx) is coming up this weekend.  Our welder has not worked in spray mode MIG on aluminum in over a year. Does his continuous FCAW MIG work preclude apparent lapse of Spray Mode solid wire MIG?  Please advise with regard to AWS welder quals.
Thanks.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-22-2007 12:56
Tom

If your welder qualification is via D1.2  2003

His qual     ..."shall be considered as remaining in effect indefinitely unless
(1) the person is not engaged in a given process of welding for which that
person is qualified for a period exceeding six months, or, (2) there is reason
to question the individual's ability."

To me this says mig is mig... If he ran solid wire of any kind in the last 6 months he is just fine.

Not that a bit of practice would be a bad thing  :)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-22-2007 13:14
AWS does not consider FCAW and GMAW to be the same process. I am referring to paragraph 4.1.2 of D1.1 (2004) (my 2006 edition is in the van). The paragraph lists the welding processes and it separates GMAW from FCAW.

Since FCAW is not used to weld aluminum, I wouldn't expect to see it listed as a welding process in D1.2.

So, where I would agree with Lawrence with regards to the use of GMAW within the previous six months, I would further say that he would have had to use the spray mode transfer inorder to keep his certifications valid. I say, "use the spray mode" because AWS D1.1 considers short circuiting to be separate process from spray or globular.

I would agree that provided the welder has been qualifed on both carbon steel and aluminum using GMAW spray mode transfer, the certifications would be valid as long as continuity for the process can be verified.

Good luck - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-22-2007 14:08
Well said Al

I wish I would have been that clear the first time... Thanks
Parent - By tom cooper (**) Date 08-23-2007 09:27
Thanks for your expert advice & opinion. I know what we have to do now.
Tom
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Lapse in Spray Mode Mig Work ?