Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Triple 7 flux core wire .045
- - By cwf07 (***) Date 08-23-2007 01:36 Edited 08-26-2007 21:36
Just wonder what yall think about it. I use it a little bit with 90/10 gas it done okay I am more use to solid wire. This is vertical on a log trailor with triple 7 90/10 gas
Attachment: IMG_0722.jpg (663k)
Parent - By TANKIE (*) Date 08-23-2007 02:21
KOBIE STEEL MAKE AN AWSOME 0.45 FLUX CORE WIRE IM A STRUCTURAL WELDER BUILDING FLAT BOTTOM STEEL STORAGE TANKS I LOVE IT its very forgivin and on ur starts and stops minimul featherin in just my 2 cents mike
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-23-2007 03:22
Hello cwf07, I have a feeling that you may not want to use that particular wire with the 90/10 shielding gas as I believe that the manufacturer specifies 75/25. When you are using any of the gas-shielded FCAW wires be sure to check on the gas(es) that are recommended by the manufacturer for the specific wire you are using, some are designed for use with 100% CO2 only, others are designed for use with either straight CO2 or the 75/25 mix, some are to be used with 75/25 only, and recently there are a few that are designed to be run with 90/10, just be sure to find out which gas or combination is recommended for the wire that you are using. If you use an incorrect shielding gas on an FCAW gas-shielded wire that is designed for a different type of shielding gas you can end up with some cracking issues and possibly some tensile issues as well, it also tends to alter the operational characteristics of the weld pool somewhat. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-23-2007 03:33
Alan hit the nail on the head.

Triple 7 is good stuff.. 

As with any FCAW wire the manufacturers data sheets will provide the best guidance.  The Triple 7 can be run with both 100% C02 and 75/25 Argon/C02.  

Note on the data sheet that the voltage requirements change slightly with a change  in the gasses.
http://www.hobartbrothers.com/pdf/datasheets/Triple7.pdf

Typically 75/25 is going to have a slightly higher possible deposition rate than the straight C02 and slightly more forgiving with the spatter.  I think the 75/25 might also be more favorable when impacts are part of the PQR.

Having said that... I've run the stuff with straight C02 and it can go faster than I can..
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-23-2007 06:58
Hello Lawrence, and thank you, as usual you have included all the relevant technical information. I, on the other hand, was shooting from the hip a bit so to speak. I should have included in the first post that I have used the triple 7 wire and have found it to be a pretty good performer as well as a pretty good runner. There are also a fair number of shops and manufacturers in my area that use quite a bit of this particular wire. In our shop we use the Corex, Versatile wire and I like that one real well, I also am also rather partial to the Hobart, Excel Arc 71. Tried a little bit of the Esab, 71 Ultra, I believe it is called, also believe this is one of the wires that is recommended to be run on the 90/10 shielding gas. It was also a very good performer, especially in the vertical position. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By welder5354 (**) Date 08-24-2007 00:46
What size wire do u all recommend?  .035" or .045".
What brand name of FCAW wire would you rate as best performers from 1-5 (1 being best).
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-24-2007 04:35
Hello welder5354, about the diameters that I would recommend, consider the application when you are making a selection as to size. The smaller the diameter of the wire, the higher the price typically, if you are welding on a lot of heavy structural(at least 1/2" and up) and you are welding most of your materials in the flat position then definitely use a larger diameter filler wire or as large a diameter as you or your welders are comfortable with. The only times when I would suggest a smaller diameter wire would be when there is considerable out of position welding or when there are issues with welding machine amperage capabilities.
     As far as rating wires goes, I would make this suggestion. Most welding and consumable suppliers will be willing to work with you to find a wire type that you will be happy with, so if you don't already have a wire that you are satisfied with see about making arrangements to give some of the others a try. There are many different suppliers of FCAW wires out there and more are coming on the scene all the time, that is one of the reasons that I wouldn't make a hard and fast suggestion, another reason has to do with availability of wires in specific geographical areas, sometimes your local suppliers can give you a really superior price on a specific type of wire and after you have tried that particular wire and possibly compared it to one that someone else has suggested you will find that any differences between the two wouldn't justify the higher price. Don't count out the differences in shielding gases either, sometimes you will have a wire that will perform just fine with the use of CO2 shielding gas for a particular application, if so, go with it, as the cost savings realized by using CO2 compared to 75/25 can be considerable. Along the same lines, consider that many times using 75/25 shielding gas can allow for considerably less clean-up costs and additional deposition rates, better metallurgical weld performance or other bonuses, so don't discount that either. Just a few items for you to consider as I'm sure that others will have suggestions also. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By turbolaser (**) Date 08-24-2007 22:39
Also when selecting wire size you must take into account your machine's capabilities.  Can your machine run enough volts to efficiently weld with "x" size wire on material that is "x" thick and requires a weld of "x" size.  Lol, that's alot of "x"s,  but not knowing what machines you have at your disposal or what you are trying to weld makes it tough to reccommend a wire size.
Parent - By cwf07 (***) Date 08-28-2007 00:38
I run the wire on my Big Blue 502 D its a cc/cv machine
Parent - - By cwf07 (***) Date 08-26-2007 21:40
Thanks for this info I will check the specifies. The welding supply company  said 90/10 would be ok but you know how that goes some times.
Parent - By cwf07 (***) Date 08-26-2007 21:42
Thanks to everyone for the info it helps alot.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Triple 7 flux core wire .045