Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / 40 hour traing requirements
- - By william pierce Date 08-24-2007 18:01
I need 40 hours of weld inspection training in order to be able to re-take the CWI exam. Can anyone tell me if a 40 hour NDE scool quailifies according to AWS? I called down their and they could'nt tell me.The NDE training will be presented by Level III personnel and upon completion of the course we will be given certificates of completion. Also I teach welding classes here at my place of employment and do weld inspections under the guidance of aCWI and an Engineer. Would any of this also quailify? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 08-24-2007 18:26
was the ndt class for visual inspection? VT
Parent - - By william pierce Date 08-24-2007 19:16
No it is for PT and UT.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 08-24-2007 19:41
it looks like it meets the requirements listed in B5.1 5.5.4
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 08-25-2007 15:23
I recently looked into this vey question for a coworker who is in the same situation.  I called AWS Certification department and they said that 40 hrs in anything welding related would work.  I suggested  MT,PT classes and they agreed that 40 hours in NDE would satisfy the requirements. 

Working under the CWI would not meet the requirements.(I asked that too)
You need to attend a 40 hr class and provide AWS with a course description and a certificate of completion.
Parent - By william pierce Date 08-27-2007 11:40
Thank you for all of your support. Hope I will be able to help someone in the future.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / 40 hour traing requirements