Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Had a fun project today
- - By aevald (*****) Date 08-25-2007 03:05 Edited 08-25-2007 04:21
Hello everyone, out of school and into industry once again. However, today was one of those days that had some fun aspects to it. The owner of the company that I'm doing my summer work at has a little hobby that he and his daughter share, they run a sand dragger. So today I got the job of building a new base for his air cleaner assembly, probably wondering why not just buy one? In this particular application he had already done the body for the machine, a jeep with four link suspension front and rear, his motor builder had done some changes on the intake on the motor and took up all of the space that was between the top of the air cleaner and the hood scoop that had been fabricated into the hood, he didn't want to alter it, yet he needed the additional air cleaner area to make the engine breathe. So I fabricated a drop-down base to allow for a 1" taller filter than the one that he originally had on it. This particular "jeep" runs a 532 c.i.d. big block, a four barrel Holley carb(don't know the cfm), full race altered TH 400, don't know the particular axles, but do know that they're solid spooled. Right at 1000 hp on 110 race gas and with the NOS on it's more like 1200 hp+. The funny thing about all of this for me is picturing his daughter(she's 16), racing it against all of the "big boys" and beating them. The boss told me that her reaction time is better than his, even, by a long shot. Regards all, aevald  One additional factoid, 200 feet in around 3.6 seconds or less, lots of noise and lots of sand
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-25-2007 09:39
LOL   sounds like fun to me  and it seems its fun for you as well

Cheers Allen
TOmmy
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 08-26-2007 03:02
Now that's some FUN stuff!!
I live in MI, and we have a large state park sand dunes on the west side of the state along the coast of Lake Michigan.  From what I understand (I only read this somewhere) it's the only sand dunes east of the Mississippi that is legal for ORV's.  Now this place is huge, and when we take our Jeeps and Rails, it's a blast.  Now everyone has their hobby that they like to spend $$ on, but some of the stuff you see there is just CRAZY expensive, and custom built.  Nothing like hearing those NOS big blocks light it up!!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 08-26-2007 04:43
Today at a resturant parking lot a saw a sticker across the top of the windshield of a Jeep that read "Silly boys, Jeeps are for girls" I bet She would enjoy one of those stickers.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-26-2007 04:49
Hello Dave, I think you're right except for one small detail, this particular jeep doesn't have a windshield. I've seen similar stickers before and believe me most of the time the gals can handle themselves just fine, I have no doubts of that. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 08-28-2007 21:19
What I learned that I thought was cool is that some of those sand draggers accelerate, not by traction with the ground, but by the reaction of the sand being thrown back by those cups on the tires.  Just like jet boats but using the sand instead of the water.

Bo
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 08-28-2007 23:24
Hello Bob, got the details from the weekend's racing. The boss lost to a fellow from Canada in the final bracket, however he set two track records in the process. His fastest time was a 2.86, I believe, and he said that amounts to right around 80 mph in 200 feet with a wheel speed of somewhere close to 120 mph. As I mentioned in the initial post he is running around 1200 hp+, he said that the fellow that beat him was closer to 1400 hp. Regards everyone, aevald
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Had a fun project today