Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / "NUT WELDING"
- - By RAM Date 03-25-2001 14:21
WE WELD M8 (METRIC 8MM) NUTS ON TO A 1008 CRS ON A 75 KVA SCIAKY MACHINE. AFTER WELDING IS COMPLETE SMALL GLOBULES OF METAL OR SPATTER STICK ON TO THE THREADS OF THE "NUT". WE ARE FORCED TO TAP THE NUT AFTER WELDING TO MEET THE GAGE REQUIREMENTS. PLEASE SUGGEST WHETHER TAPPING CAN BE AVOIDED.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 03-27-2001 02:32
Before I respond,
Does the acceptance criteria for your weld require flash to be present, which some Mil specs do not require if mechanical testing can prove the electrical parameters (voltage, squeeze time, etc) will provide a specific bond strength?
Parent - By dee (***) Date 03-27-2001 06:48
I use different processes and equipment but have similar problems from time to time... protecting the threads is cheaper than an investment in expensive equipment... have you tried appropriate bolt threaded into the nut before welding? Copper or brass may be superior but common steel hardware serves my purpose. I find any kind of grease or anti-sieze helps spin them out.
I'd like to know if it works for you too... good luck.

regards, dee
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 03-27-2001 15:02
IS THIS FOR PRODUCTION WELDING? DEPENDING ON WHAT STANDARD YOU USE FOR EXAMPLE CATERPILLAR ALLOWS FOR MIG WELDING NUTS ON IF RESISTANCE WELDING IS NOT FEASIBLE AT THE TIME. PLEASE GIVE MORE INFORMATION. THE OTHER POSTED REMEDIES ALSO WORK.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / "NUT WELDING"