Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / electron beam welding
- - By wld (*) Date 08-26-2007 02:14
hello, anybody out there know where i can find a company that does electron beam welding.
were located in houston tx. and right now were sending our valve cages oversea's to have the valve seats welded in and were getting a 3-6 month turnaround, which is killing us. it really would be nice to find some one a little closer and a lot faster that does good work. thanks for any help.
                                                                              lee
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 08-26-2007 02:53
Does it have to be EBW???  I know that it's similar to laser, and we have 4 good laser companies that we deal with.  They have not welded our products however, we only consult to them when they are developing welding procedures that require CWI inspection and approval.
Just a thought.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-26-2007 04:45
Hello MDG Custom Weld, if my memory serves me correctly there is a characteristic of EBW which allows welding to take place on the inside of structures without physically having access to them. The heat that is generated for the welding comes from the intersection point of the two electron beams and the makeup of these beams is such that it allows them to pass through solid walls and obstructions and then generate heat where they cross allowing a fusion process to take place anywhere that this energy is directed. Hope I remembered this correctly, if not I will rely on others to correct me. I might also guess that the original poster has a need for this particular process due to the design of the part or parts that they are needing welded. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By SWP (**) Date 08-27-2007 19:00
That would be amazing, sorry it doesn't work that way, the electron beam heats the first metal surface it contacts.  It is the impact of electrons that causes heating.  The beam is focused via electomagnets, and the beam diameter at the weld surface is adjusted via the focus coil current and focal distance from the electron gun.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 08-27-2007 23:52
Hello SWP, thanks for the correction, as I said, I was going from memory and we know about memories, especially of those who are in the older bracket(that would include me). I recalled a process that was being tested by Batelle Northwest at Hanford, so either I was totally off base or this process was not EBW. Once again SWP thanks for the correction. Regards, aevald
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 08-28-2007 02:14
Hello again SWP, I decided I must have been having a STAR TREK MOMENT. Regards, aevald
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 08-26-2007 03:12
EB Welding, Farmingdale New York
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 08-27-2007 20:10
Try EBtech in Agawam, MA or Acceleron in CT.  Look them up on the web.  They are HUGE EB shops, and specialize in jet engine parts.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 08-27-2007 21:24
Here's one in your neighborhood:

Electron Beam
Technology, Inc.

10014 Sussex Lane
Houston, TX 77041
Phone: (713) 690-2326
Fax: (713) 690-3888
Email: ebt@pdq.net
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-28-2007 03:20
I do not know how interchangeble the technologies really are....but I do know with laser welding you can specify your weld width and penetration and penetration can be over square the weld.....I.E. far deeper in pen then the width at surface.  I know I am not helping the poster just commenting since lasers were brought up.   I would think lasers would be cheaper then electron beam...here I am asking a question from those who know...does not electron beam require a purged enviorment (or its own atmosphere)? Like to learn or confirm somthing here....
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-28-2007 12:47
Joe Kane has dealt with some Narrow Groove EB in the past, maybe he can shed some light.
Parent - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 08-28-2007 13:13
Tommy, yes lasers have the ability to have very deep penetration to width ratio.  I have seen 1/2" full pen square groove with a .075 bead width.  The process is only limited by the power of the laser unit one has, and the joint fit up.  The depth/ width ratio is totally controlled by the focal point, laser output, and the desired spot size at a given depth. Theoretically, with exact precision joint fit up, the maximum depth and minimum width would only be limited by the laser wattage output.  Maybe others here have more insight on the actual process capabilities.
Mark
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / electron beam welding