Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GtAW Cover
- - By emccorma Date 08-27-2007 21:06
Hey Guys, I want to thank everyone for the GTAW purge info it worked great. Now I have another question, as I said before I'm working with 6"-10" or so sch. 40 316 ss pipe. I am just wondering  if there are any tricks for doing the cover pass. The root and hot pass are easy if you walk the cup, not so easy for the cover. I am using 1/8 316 filler , 3/32 2% tungsten and straight argon. I can do a 7018 cover without a thought but have never did a cover with GTAW.

Thanks, ED
                                                                                               Steamfitters Local 638 New York
Parent - - By medicinehawk01 (**) Date 08-31-2007 00:58
[deleted]
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 08-31-2007 10:01
Medicinehawk has given great advice on techniqe-listen to him.

really you are not doing anything so different on the cap pass.....keep it hot...your wider so make sure you tie in the sides...keep your torch neutral the whole way thru...gas coverage in front and behind.  If you can fill the joint you can do the cap pass...its just wider and tie your sides in good.  One thing is you might want to crank up your gas flow just a bit more on the cap...just to make sure you cover well cause there is nothing holding it in there anymore.  

Really there is nothing to say as Medicinehawk has spelled it out verbatem...good post dude!!
Parent - By emccorma Date 08-31-2007 13:39
Thank you very much guy's. Will be giving it a try and will let you know the results.

Thanks Ed
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 08-31-2007 14:20
Here is a little someething that may help.

http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com/WalkingTheCup.htm

Gerald
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GtAW Cover